News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Can someone clear this up for me? Has the above plan been abandoned in favour of the ridiculous cinema/parking-lot one?
The Cineplex is a part of the total master plan.

It's this block:

STC Block.JPG

While I'll fight for every brick in Cabbagetown this is one of those suburban areas that just screams to be developed at a grandeur scale. With the new Scarborough metro getting underway bring it on!

One interesting thing to note here.. they got rid of ALL the parking spots.

Correction, they got rid of all the 'surface' parking spots.

If you look at the context plan closely there are multiple 'parkades' which is how they propose to address the retail parking needs of the mall/area.

There is, of course, much detail to be determined (will the parkades be fully or partially above ground?); will their roof-tops be green? Will they be relatively unobtrusive?
Will the parking ratio be lower than it is today in terms of spaces per ft2 of retail.

On that last one, I would certainly hope so; but its early days yet to assess that.

The larger east/west park on the northern portion of the property is interesting as is the lack of large building to the south allowing unimpeded sunshine...

15k units from Oxford and another 9k in the immediate vicinity from other developers according to the Block Context Plan. That's almost identical to Golden Mile--gonna be one epic condo farm.

Regarding parking, would it make sense for Oxford to charge for spots one day?

15k units from Oxford and another 9k in the immediate vicinity from other developers according to the Block Context Plan. That's almost identical to Golden Mile--gonna be one epic condo farm.

Regarding parking, would it make sense for Oxford to charge for spots one day?

Yes, but probably is a manner similar to much downtown retail that has parking available to it.

You pay market rate, but are rebated based on purchases.

The rebate is often full; but not always, particularly in peak times; it may be '$5 parking with purchase of $25 or more' that sorta thing.

And that's what I expect you'll see here one day.

But probably only after the SSE opens; and there's a reasonable amount of density on site.

Correction, they got rid of all the 'surface' parking spots.

If you look at the context plan closely there are multiple 'parkades' which is how they propose to address the retail parking needs of the mall/area.

There is, of course, much detail to be determined (will the parkades be fully or partially above ground?); will their roof-tops be green? Will they be relatively unobtrusive?
Will the parking ratio be lower than it is today in terms of spaces per ft2 of retail.

On that last one, I would certainly hope so; but its early days yet to assess that.
...since they're been shoving one under the great circle at U of T to which you have been documenting pictorially, I am presuming that could be done here. 😼

While I'll fight for every brick in Cabbagetown this is one of those suburban areas that just screams to be developed at a grandeur scale. With the new Scarborough metro getting underway bring it on!
While we're at it, every single 1 storey strip mall lining the major arterials in Scarborough should be redeveloped as well, there are acres upon acres of underutilized land just outside of the core begging for increased density. Flood the market with housing. It should be achievable while also protecting our heritage and greenbelt spaces.

The Sears building has one new tenant signed in the form of Sporting Goods retailer Decathalon, taking 46,000ft2.

Two other large retailers are advanced stages of negotiation, but not yet signed.

The target is to have all three open by October of 2023.

Together they would consume the majority of the lower 2 levels of the former Sears box. The third floor has another 60,000ft2 which may end up simply as storage, Oxford is still mulling that over.

Story from Retail-Insider: https://retail-insider.com/retail-i...h-new-tenants-including-decathlon-interviews/

Render from above:

1654760325717.png

Nice! I do remember years ago when they were going to move Cineplex that they had planned to make Sears into part of the mall with flexible space that could accommodate 60+ new stores.

Back