News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

An out of towner's anecdotal perspective, for what it's worth. Friends from Rochester visited me over the weekend and said they find Toronto's roads quite bumpy. And that the city and especially suburbs "feel very new" in architectural terms.

edit: they also described the city as a never ending series of strip malls.

Last edited:
Most of the buildings are pretty new, and that's unavoidable, but it's true that most of our streets resemble a war zone in terms of bumpiness. Bloor St through Yorkville has craters everywhere. Richmond and Adelaide are not much better.

B8F42266-4804-477D-91A1-88499BB79DF7.jpeg

Rusted metal poles being replaced by much taller wooden ones on Dundas - I don’t know what’s worse 🤪

View attachment 401387

Can anyone spot the inexplicable random generic cobra light nestled between the black “historic” ones?
Interesting, Front Street east of Scott has (or had) all short metal post Victorian lights plus a few tall Victorians. About 3 or 4 years ago a short was knocked over by a truck at the Young Peoples Theatre and THSL 'planted' a tall concrete pole Acorn. We complained. Last week they came and removed the Acorn and have installed a new base for what looks like a short Victorian. Amazement all around. Then a few days ago they did same thing on Front west of the Market - the original short Victorian had been replaced about 18 months ago. Even more amazement. There is now only one concrete pole Acorn on Front from Scott to Parliament (I think) It's on north side at 80 Front and it was erected about a year ago so we now have hopes that it too will be replaced properly. THSL DO seem to be trying!

Not to be TOO picky ..... we are still nagging at how/why they use different kinds of light in many of these Victorians, most 'white' some orangish. I understand it's not a simple matter of switching the bulb but ....

The BIA paid for the fancy poles too. What an insult by Toronto Hydro.
Though I am far from an apologist for THSL, the problem in the past has been that BIAs or others bought fancy poles, luminaires or ??? but did not provide funds for UPKEEP. Some BIAs (St Lawrence being an example) have always refused to use their $$ to buy 'fancy stuff' and lobby to get the City to buy & own it - even if paid for with Section 37 funds. In these cases, it is much easier (if not easy!) to get THSL to maintain/replace it as required.

Toronto is an eye-soar.

There is much to improve in Toronto's public realm; and there are certainly lots of two steps forward, one step back moments which can be disheartening.........but this statement is really too much.

This is Toronto:

1653248436055.png

There are equally and more lovely streetscapes to be seen in the St. Lawrence area, Bloor Street, Yorkville Avenue, St. George Street and Queen's Quay among others. Nuance is an important thing.

Photo taken May 20, 2022, by Moi

Government (as usual) killed Toronto's potential.

Middle Housing was seen as "dangerous" by city fathers in the 1900's.

Today, they left us with a gaping, ugly sprawl.

How I wish there was a politician willing to campaign on this and get the citizens behind this so things can be fixed. It's rather embarrassing at this point.
It’s all about managed decline. If the political elite are making twice the amount on the way down than they made on the way up, the system is working perfectly. They will never lift a finger.

In the past, politicians promised to create a better world. They had different ways of achieving this. But their power and authority came from the optimistic visions they offered to their people.

Those dreams failed.

And today, people have lost faith in ideologies. Increasingly, our feckless politicians are seen simply as managers of public life.

But now, they have discovered a new role that restores their power and authority.
Instead of delivering dreams, politicians now promise to protect us from nightmares. They say that they will rescue us from dreadful dangers that we cannot see and do not understand.

- Adam Curtis Director

Back