News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

That’s no reason for government to tell us what we can cook with. Imagine if that was a determinant of government policy.. If I want to cook with gas, noxious fumes and all, myob. If this is a climate change thing, then the millions of gas furnaces in Canadian homes is the bigger issue than the occasional house with a gas cooker.
Well that's why I said perhaps - my lone opinion shouldn't dictate policy (though I admit if I were a dictator with absolute power I would probably impose a ban 🤣 )

I'm not particularly passionate about this issue. All I'm saying is that I'd be totally fine with it if they did get banned. If not, I'm kind of ok with that too.

I prefer gas stoves, hands down. I am currently on an induction hob under sufferance but will shortly be replacing with gas. Easier to cook and not an air quality issue with an extractor hood. Simples.

I also prefer gas stoves for my own home. 😌 But if I were to rent or the company will provide me with a place to stay, I would prefer electric as compared to gas for cooking.

Working in a kitchen with a gas stove and coming home to an electric stove, is like working with high speed internet and coming home to dial-up. Gas stoves are so much better to cook with and are built like tanks, they last for ever. My parents gas stove has been working 20 plus years. I got a new electric stove a couple years ago, the last one i had only lasted 6 years, the repair bill would have been almost as much as a new stove. I thought about getting an Induction stove, they are better than eltrictic and a lot safer than gas, but they are expensive and requires induction-capable pots/pans. Most of my pots and pans won't work on a induction cook top, so i went with electric. I use my propane barbecue with side burners year round too. So if i need a hot heat for grilling or sauteing, i will use that.

Modern electric stoves are pieces of crap. You are lucky if a modern stove lasts 5 years.
I'll keep my gas, thanks.

I am dreaming of being back in Québec, where tenants have to buy their own large appliances, so I can get what I want - in this particular case an induction range.

Back at the Residences of College Park, the stove (as in many apartments, including condos, in this city) was on 208 volts, and I actually bought an induction plate because I got sick and tired of having my steaks boil in their own juices. Fortunately, at Manulife, it's full voltage and even a ceramic cooktop is tolerable.

I am dreaming of being back in Québec, where tenants have to buy their own large appliances, so I can get what I want - in this particular case an induction range.

Back at the Residences of College Park, the stove (as in many apartments, including condos, in this city) was on 208 volts, and I actually bought an induction plate because I got sick and tired of having my steaks boil in their own juices. Fortunately, at Manulife, it's full voltage and even a ceramic cooktop is tolerable.
Is it common in Quebec for kitchens to be plumbed for gas and 220v electric?

With 208v, a typical stove would be about 25% de-rated, so operate the same, but slower.

Maybe the USA should start by banning direct fired (ventless!) natural gas fireplaces first. They are illegal in Canada. I couldn’t believe my brand new multi residential unit in Pennsylvania had one 25 years ago. The unit also had a DHW tank heater that fed the fan coil unit too. Only in the good old USA.

Is it common in Quebec for kitchens to be plumbed for gas and 220v electric?

With 208v, a typical stove would be about 25% de-rated, so operate the same, but slower.
Gas is not as common in Québec, and stoves are on 240 volts.

stoves are on 240 volts.
Depends on your supply service. Detached residential is single phase 240v; large building such as apartments and condos are 3-phase 'wye' and phase-to-phase voltage is 208. If you are getting 240 volts from 3-phase in Ontario, the building has a transformer.

Any stove will work on 208 volts, albeit a little slower. Most are tagged as '240v/208v'.

Most homes in North America operate on 100-127 volts, whereas the UK and many other countries use between 220 and 240 volts. The lower voltage in North America means that electric kettles would not heat water as quickly as they do in the UK. Your typical North American electric kettle is—ballpark—twice as slow as a European kettle. Your standard North American sockets (120V) provide half the voltage but not double the amperage, so they're half as powerful.

Most electric stoves and electric domestic hot water tanks in North America are between 220 and 240 volts, however.

Most homes in North America operate on 100-127 volts, whereas the UK and many other countries use between 220 and 240 volts. The lower voltage in North America means that electric kettles would not heat water as quickly as they do in the UK. Your typical North American electric kettle is—ballpark—twice as slow as a European kettle. Your standard North American sockets (120V) provide half the voltage but not double the amperage, so they're half as powerful.

Most electric stoves and electric domestic hot water tanks in North America are between 220 and 240 volts, however.
Isn't it strange that if I type a search string asking 'is an electric kettle in Europe faster that in Canada' I get the same answer. Word. For. Word.

The basic premise is correct; but it depends on the designed wattage rating of the device. Wattage meaning energy transferred (in this case, electrical to heat), which is governed by both the available voltage in the system it is attached to plus the amount of current (amperes) it is designed to draw. For want of a better analogy, current is drawn by the load, not pushed; voltage is pushed.

A typical new house in Ontario has an electrical service limited to 200 amps. Provided the properly cabling, etc.it would be theoretically possible to have a 200 amp kettle or water heater. Very fast, very impractical.

Resistive loads - devices that transfer energy by heating up, can handle a range of voltages within design limits, they will just be more or less efficient about it.

Bans are starting to happen.

New York is the first state in the country to ban natural gas and other fossil fuels in most new buildings –

Back