News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

C

CliffColeclough

It's been awhile since I've gone skating. I know there used to be a sharpening service at Nathan Phillips Square/City Hall Rink. Can anyone confirm if it is still there? If not, does anyone know of a place downtown that sharpens skates?

I believe the Natrel rink at Harbourfront also does it.

Boy, how providential that new Crappy Tire is. Close to both NPS and the Ryerson rink--and the College Park rink too, for that matter...

If only that crappy tire actually had skates in stock!!!

They are sold out of all the common sizes and wont be getting a new shipment until next fall.

If only that crappy tire actually had skates in stock!!!

They are sold out of all the common sizes and wont be getting a new shipment until next fall.

Way to bring up an old thread. Little did I know, a year later I would be working at this exact crappy tire!

Does anyone know if the Sport check at the Eaton Centre offers skate sharpening?

yes it does. They've done a decent job on my skates (I'm ultra-picky when it comes to my skates...) and there aren't many other options downtown that I know of that I trust.

Thanks for all the tips guys. It's surprisingly hard to search online for places that sharpen skates, especially in a city like our where it's as common as swimming during the summertime.

Anyway, while it wasn't our final destination we wound up walking over to the Natrel ice rink at the Harbourfront centre which has skate sharpening for $5. The guy there seemed pretty knowledgable and seemed to do a good job, at least in my limited skating experience eyes. The Natral rink looks pretty cool and it was fairly busy while we were there. Good lighting, sheltered away from the road traffic, and a view of the lake (and Porter's aircraft!) to boot. Who says the Lake front isn't used during the winter time.

I'm going to revive a very old thread. The toddler needs to learn to skate this winter (just bought him his first real skates!) so I need mine sharpened. Where to go downtown in 2022?

I'm going to revive a very old thread. The toddler needs to learn to skate this winter (just bought him his first real skates!) so I need mine sharpened. Where to go downtown in 2022?

Canadian Tire at Bay & Dundas may still offer the service. Most of their further out stores have it and I vaguely recall having mine sharpened once at the B&D location. You can also call the store ahead of time to double check. If not that store, then the Yonge & Church location should have it more likely.

Back