News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I thought most truffle oil was artificially flavoured?

Who is using Truffle Oil on potato chips, assuming that was your reference point........?

Kettle uses:

1668478696728.png

Bret's isn't actually Porcini Powder, though I've seen that done............ I looked them up:

Potatoes (France 61.9%), sunflower oil (31%), aroma, salt, dehydrated summer truffle (Tuber Aestivum) (0.17% equivalent to 1% fresh summer truffle)

The Spanish Brand Torres:

1668478858456.png

Just tried a new (to me) cookie tonight...........and really enjoyed it:

1669083634982.png

The ginger has real kick..

Yum! I highly recommend w/Chai Tea or even a nice red wine!

Available at what some people call the City Market at Manulife Centre, but those of us in-the-know just call the @Bayer building.

It appears they are also available on Amazon here.

Now don't go buy them all before I get another one! LOL

Just tried a new (to me) cookie tonight...........and really enjoyed it:

View attachment 440319
The ginger has real kick..

Yum! I highly recommend w/Chai Tea or even a nice red wine!

Available at what some people call the City Market at Manulife Centre, but those of us in-the-know just call the @Bayer building.

It appears they are also available on Amazon here.

Now don't go buy them all before I get another one! LOL
I guess just that store and not elsewhere in the broader Loblaw empire.

I guess just that store and not elsewhere in the broader Loblaw empire.

That's my understanding. Maisie, the owner/operator of the Manulife store always brings in unique product you can't find in other Loblaw affiliated stores.

Question:

I came across an East Asian ingredient I haven't used before and as a foodie, of course I picked it up.

But I wanted thoughts on it and how to use it....

'Pork Floss'.

Question:

I came across an East Asian ingredient I haven't used before and as a foodie, of course I picked it up.

But I wanted thoughts on it and how to use it....

'Pork Floss'.

It's more a condiment than anything - served with congee (blech), as a filling for glutinous rice "loafs" (Chinese Onigiri), etc. Example of the latter: https://thewoksoflife.com/shanghai-breakfast-rice-rolls/

AoD

Last edited:
It's more a condiment than anything - served with congee (blech), as a filling for glutinous rice "loafs" (Chinese Onigiri), etc.

AoD

Not a congee fan myself either. Don't generally go the porridge/rice pudding type texture.

Could it be used as you might 'bacon bits' ? As a salad or soup topper?

Not a congee fan myself either. Don't generally go the porridge/rice pudding type texture.

Could it be used as you might 'bacon bits' ? As a salad or soup topper?

Honestly I haven't tried - that combination feels really alien. You can find other sorts of recipes with it as an ingredient online but I am not sure how good they'd be.

AoD

Honestly I haven't tried - that combination feels really alien. You can find other sorts of recipes with it as an ingredient online but I am not sure how good they'd be.

AoD
I've really only seen it used in the rice roll you mentioned (in Cantonese, we call it "Chee-fan", literally "sticky rice")
Asian Legend makes a decent one (https://www.asianlegend.ca/en/detail/108/Glutinous-Rice-Roll--with-Pork-Floss-or-Sugar-)

As a kid, I did enjoy just eating it as a snack by the spoonful (probably not the serving recommendation). You can sprinkle some on rice too (kinda like a substitute for furikake).

I've really only seen it used in the rice roll you mentioned (in Cantonese, we call it "Chee-fan", literally "sticky rice")
Asian Legend makes a decent one (https://www.asianlegend.ca/en/detail/108/Glutinous-Rice-Roll--with-Pork-Floss-or-Sugar-)

As a kid, I did enjoy just eating it as a snack by the spoonful (probably not the serving recommendation). You can sprinkle some on rice too (kinda like a substitute for furikake).

T&T carries it too - they used to have it made to order with fillings of your choosing; it's been down to pre-made for awhile.

AoD

@Northern Light - I forget which thread you posted it in, but I tried those PC Adobo chips, and I agree with you - they are mediocre. Not flavourful enough, and a tad too vinegary for my liking (I despise vinegar in general). Next!

@Northern Light - I forget which thread you posted it in, but I tried those PC Adobo chips, and I agree with you - they are mediocre. Not flavourful enough, and a tad too vinegary for my liking (I despise vinegar in general). Next!

I like vinegar, LOL

But in this case, that wasn't the billed flavour. It was billed as soy/garlic/chicken.

Back