39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

NorthYorkEd

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
My wife picked me up a leather messenger bag so I can haul around my tablet, books, and other odds. (Guess she got tired of always being my pack mule.) It's dark brown leather. Thick strap. And hey, Indiana Jones and Jack Bauer both carried one. But it just feels like a "purse". I know we are in a sophisticated city, but I'm having a hard time feeling comfortable with this. A backpack makes me feel like a teenager/student and a briefcase is too formal for just mucking around the city.

Anyone else carry a "man bag"? Am I going to be made fun of, like the dog an owner dresses in boots and a sweater?

The one she got looks similar to this:

mens-messenger-bags.jpg

Attachments

• mens-messenger-bags.jpg
    mens-messenger-bags.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 4,493
I have a black and brown one like that. Everyone has them, no one but hick tourists will notice you.

They are referred too as European Carryall's btw.

Do purses or other bags get counted as hand luggage or ignored at the airport?

I've always found messenger bags to be very practical but cumbersome. I actually fit my keys in my left pocket, wallet in my right pocket and my BlackBerry Passport (there's my cheap plug for the phone :eek:) in my jacket pocket. If I need to carry papers and stuff, I use a zip-up leather portfolio which I carry around in my hand. If there's anything larger that I need to carry, I drive! :D

Purses and handbags are considered personal items at the airport, e.g. If the airline allows 1 standard item and 1 personal item, that typically means you can bring 1 carry-on suitcase and 1 laptop bag on board.

I was at the HOP on Parliament St. this summer and asked the fellow beside me to please move his man bag so my party could sit. It was the first time I'd used the term. Better than purse or murse.

Back