News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

• Thread starter Sir Novelty Fashion
  • Start date
S

Sir Novelty Fashion

Ganja's not the only one to have made the trip south recently. I did too - my first trip - with photos to show; the primary difference between our offerings being:

1) The weather was nastier when I was there
2) My wee tiny camera takes wee nasty photos
and
3) I'm not a very good photographer.

Still. Here's what I got:

----

Stayed a night at the Newark airport Days Inn. There was pea soup, and a monorail:
IMG_0060.jpg

This was the first thing I saw when we got out of the Holland Tunnel. It was a large building.
IMG_0062.jpg

The East Village - very twee, very tidy.
IMG_0066.jpg

In a rainstorm, on the west side:
IMG_0071.jpg

New construction on the Bowery, near where we stayed. A lowrise that would not have looked out of place in a Context project:
IMG_0073.jpg

More Bowery. The interesting thing about much of Manhattan is that the buildings are roughly in scale with one another, and yet very few are actually the same size or shape. So on one hand, you get a unified aesthetic, but nary a cornice-line.
IMG_0074.jpg

Washington Square Park. It was save the unsaved day. I wanted to talk to one of the young acolytes ("...so, who WOULD Jesus bomb?") but time was short.
IMG_0076.jpg

Fifth Avenue
IMG_0080.jpg

Midtown
IMG_0082.jpg

The inside of the Fifth Avenue (?) H&M. Just for reference.
IMG_0083.jpg

In a window display nearby. The MTA gets it about self-promotion.
IMG_0085.jpg

Towers: pointy
IMG_0086.jpg

...And here we are.
IMG_0087.jpg

On the inside, this sign was still up. An Apple Store employee gingerly asked me why I was taking a picture of the sign. I told him that this was the most famous elevator malfunction on the whole Internet. (Several hapless patrons had been freed by firemen after a few hours trapped in Steve Jobs' great glass elevator.) He was unimpressed.
IMG_0089.jpg

The staircase still worked.
IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

There was nothing much to see on the inside. Take the Eaton Centre store and multiply by, I don't know, six. Same deal. That day, we walked from Washington Square to 70th Street, though it was getting to dark and wet for photos by the time we hit Central Park.

Home again to the hostel:
IMG_0097.jpg

Looking up the Bowery on a nicer day:
IMG_0098.jpg

Ghost bike:
IMG_0101.jpg

The garment district on the Lower East Side, kind of an overblown Kensington. I wasn't a huge fan.
IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

Looking north from the balcony of the Tenement Museum in that neighborhood:
IMG_0125.jpg

Dome-type thing of some variety. Possibly famous. This is where the Brooklyn Bridge enters Manhattan.

Edit: where the Manhattan Bridge enters...
IMG_0126.jpg

Off Canal Street, we ran into a Catholic procession and band. It was great:
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

Wall Street-ish: dead on a weekend
IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

Brand-new Staten Island Ferry terminal:
IMG_0139.jpg

By the time we got on the Staten Island Ferry, my feet were killing me. I sat down next to one of my friends, and popped up to look over the rail. When I turned around, some lady had taken my seat. "Excuse me," said my friend, "he was sitting there." The lady looked a bit smug, and said - I kid you not - "I was here first." I glared, and went back to the railing. She stayed in the seat for five minutes - just enough to prove her point - and then was gone.

On the way back, a group of frat boys were arguing earnestly over whether the curvature of the Verezano Narrows bridge reflected the curvature of the Earth.

The view from the rail:
IMG_0146.jpg

Downtown Brooklyn:
IMG_0151.jpg

Back in Manhattan: infill development going up:
IMG_0155.jpg

Looking up Broadway from 3rd Street:
Edit: Looking down Lafayette, not up Broadway. Looking somewhere, anyway:
IMG_0157.jpg

The reason for my visit - it was a bit disappointing, but that's another story.
IMG_0164.jpg

There were skyscrapers going up all over the place. I kept wondering what was demolished to make way for them, Manhattan not having our natural wealth of parking lots to cannibalise. I wonder if it was blocks like the one on the right:
IMG_0168.jpg

Times Square:
IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

The saddest part of trip was my determination to find Penn Station. I kept seeing signs for it, but I could find the station itself anywhere! I remembered reading such great things about it, somewhere...

Grand Central, and its reflection:
IMG_0174.jpg

The Citi-thing tower that apparently needed to have all the joints re-welded after the fact to keep it from toppling in a hurricane:
IMG_0177.jpg

The next day I drove back to Toronto, and for the first time in my life, I crossed its city limits having driven from a big town to a small one.

C'est tout.

Nice pics, I especially like the captions... towers: pointy. We have the same Morgan-style building in our pics but yours says East Village while mine says Greenwich Village... I wonder which one it is.

Nice pics.

Penn Station isn't really that impressive - it's just an underground train station. It's right below Madison Square Garden.

1afbc293a011a525a5cc1334058da151d9a717cacb40e9d6e7db0ea94104409a54ebe422d7db083465ced67c233927dddbbe0ff1219acd66

We have the same Morgan-style building in our pics but yours says East Village while mine says Greenwich Village... I wonder which one it is.

I'm going to go with yours, since I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Penn Station isn't really that impressive - it's just an underground train station. It's right below Madison Square Garden.

Penn Station used to be extremely impressive... until they demolished it and put Madison Square Garden in its place. I'd missed that critical piece of 40-year-old news.

Penn Station

4a23398r.jpg

A victim of the modern age... demolished in 1963

lostpenn.jpg

Ahh, but the silver lining is that one of the reasons that Grand Central got saved and restored is exactly because Penn Station disappeared. I saw a show recently on New York 20 (the local cable-ish station) that went through a history of the train stations in New York and a lot into the restoration of Grand Central. It provided an interesting parallel and perhaps future look to our own Union Station stuff.

Great images! Thanks!

On the way back, a group of frat boys were arguing earnestly over whether the curvature of the Verezano Narrows bridge reflected the curvature of the Earth.

Sorry, but I don't think frat boys are capable of this level of discussion. They must have been frat boy posers.

Thanks for the photos.
The domed building is a bank at the foot of the Manhattan Bridge, which I cross everyday by bike on my way to work.
Also, the photo from 3rd street looks down Lafayette Street, not up Broadway.

Thanks. But the city I was photographing was actually New York? I'm getting nervous.

One thing I noticed when I was there was the relative lack of cyclists, especially as compared to Toronto. Do you find it's a cycling city?

you are a great photographer! i really love the shot of the water with the rain!

Sir Novelty Fashion,

There are probably considerably fewer commuting cyclists in New York than Toronto per capita-wise, but the infrastructure is quite well developed.
All three East River Bridges between Brooklyn and Manhattan have separated bike paths. The Brooklyn and Williamsburg bridges are popular with cyclists - although the former gets congested with tourists. My bridge, the Manhattan, is little-used, but the views of the Midtown skyline and down into Chinatown and DUMBO are marvellous, particularly in the fog. It's a great way to start the day.
As in Montreal but perhaps not Toronto, there is a huge fleet of bicycle delivery people here. You can get practically anything delivered at any time of day in Manhattan, and the chances are good that it will be delivered by bicycle.
The cops are real haters though. I've had to go to court for a minor bicycle-related offence, and the cops often harrass the monthly Critical Mass gathering. I planned to participate once, but a large group of cops was gathered at the meeting spot (Union Square) and one of them handed out fliers stating that participants would be arrested. Due to deportation-fear I quickly abandoned my plans to ride.
One reason for the relative lack of cyclists could be that it's so easy to walk or take transit here, and that people feel the need to lug around a heavy chain in order to lock their bikes up.

That reminds me of Toronto...

What, the "center of the universe" billboard? ;)

Even though NYC is in a completely different league than Toronto, parts of it feel very Torontoish.

Unfortunately Penn Station is the one Amtrak uses so arrivals into the city are quite disappointing.

Reinforcing why building over station tracks is a bad idea, no matter the location.

Back