News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It's just an overpass, I don't see any need for it to be more than simple concrete.

Odd sentiment to be coming from someone who complains bitterly each time a city agency prints out a sign with the wrong shade of black.

The proper, short-term fix is to add pedestrian signals to cross Spadina/Lake Shore legally, at least in the north-south direction, and to add a signalized crosswalk at the ramp. Longer-term solutions include re-building the intersection/ramp to permit safe crossings in all directions where pedestrians get the right of way.

I have been to almost every major city in the world and when I go I walk. I can't recall any that DO NOT have barriers blocking pedestrians from crossing certain roads. Even where there are large amount of pedestrians.

For pedestrians I can't figure out why you would NEED to cross here. We are in a big city and all modes of transportation have to be able to jointly be able to get around. This is a key piece of infrastructure for vehicles and it's already at 100% capacity. A pedestrian intersection would decrease the capacity further at this critical junction. (and in fact the current illegal movement of pedestrians already diminishes the capacity)

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If the people in cars and TTC far outnumber the people on foot there's nothing wrong with giving them priority. Doing otherwise would be too dogmatic.

According to Cressy, a crosswalk is being added to the west side of Spadina across Lakeshore in 2017. A reconfiguration of the intersection is being studied. Hopefully it's all made pedestrian friendly.

The bridge is an additional method of crossing to directly connect both sides of CityPlace. This bridge should take design considerations as it'll become a de facto gateway into Spadina.

According to Cressy, a crosswalk is being added to the west side of Spadina across Lakeshore in 2017. A reconfiguration of the intersection is being studied. Hopefully it's all made pedestrian friendly.

The bridge is an additional method of crossing to directly connect both sides of CityPlace. This bridge should take design considerations as it'll become a de facto gateway into Spadina.

A reconfiguration of this intersection is desperately needed. The solution should include ways of eliminating contact points between streetcars, pedestrians and vehicular traffic.

This could include a short streetcar tunnel from QQ to midway between Lakeshore and Bremner, thus speeding up both the 510 and cars by eliminating the transit signal priority, and taking away the recurring blockage of the 510 by stopped vehicles on the tracks.

Also, the ramp to westbound Gardiner could be raised above grade. This would allow Under Gardiner unimpeded connection to new pedestrian crossing across Lakeshore, as Cressy mentioned, thus connecting it to QQ.

A reconfiguration of this intersection is desperately needed. The solution should include ways of eliminating contact points between streetcars, pedestrians and vehicular traffic.

This could include a short streetcar tunnel from QQ to midway between Lakeshore and Bremner, thus speeding up both the 510 and cars by eliminating the transit signal priority, and taking away the recurring blockage of the 510 by stopped vehicles on the tracks.

Also, the ramp to westbound Gardiner could be raised above grade. This would allow Under Gardiner unimpeded connection to new pedestrian crossing across Lakeshore, as Cressy mentioned, thus connecting it to QQ.

I don't think the tunnel idea would be possible. The grade would be insanely steep to go from the level of Spadina at Lakeshore, right back up to the surface before Bremner so that the line could clear the rail corridor.

A tunnel is not needed just as it's not needed at urbanized intersections with streetcars like Queen and Yonge. This should not be configured like an expressway in the middle of nowhere. It's a growing community of people and schools and libraries and a waterfront.

Lakeshore and Spadina should have crosswalks like any intersection where cars stop at red lights, go on green and line up to turn onto a cross street.

Westbound Lakeshore should be brought down to street level so that offramps can be eliminated and Lakeshore limited to 3 lanes from 4/5 now, reducing the complexity of the intersection, the speed of the cars on it and the length across traffic that people have to walk.

Lakeshore is already like this for most of its length. This isn't some crazy concept. Lakeshore doesn't have to be a highway. There already is one running over it.

Another idea is revival of the Front Street extension, which would eliminate on/off ramps at Spadina and divert such traffic away from Cityplace.

The intersection is hell from pedestrian, biker and driver perspectives, if you ask me. I am not sure if it was discussed earlier, but underground crossing seems to be the best solution. The sidewalks in the area are wide enough to accommodate both stairs/escalators as well as bike ramps. This solution would require some tailoring of the streetcar tracks and road lanes, but nothing crazy. The only narrow spot is on the South-West corner by the Francophone Centre, but the building can be moved or simply turned 90 degrees to give space for the entrance. I am sure if seriously considered, the solutions can be realized.

Here are my Paint master-skill renderings. I was just brainstorming, so don't hate too much.

Entrances:
Top.png

Entrances + Underground Connections:
Top_Tunnel.png

Attachments

• Top.png
    Top.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 620
  • Top_Tunnel.png
    Top_Tunnel.png
    2 MB · Views: 620
The intersection is hell from pedestrian, biker and driver perspectives, if you ask me. I am not sure if it was discussed earlier, but underground crossing seems to be the best solution. The sidewalks in the area are wide enough to accommodate both stairs/escalators as well as bike ramps. This solution would require some tailoring of the streetcar tracks and road lanes, but nothing crazy. The only narrow spot is on the South-West corner by the Francophone Centre, but the building can be moved or simply turned 90 degrees to give space for the entrance. I am sure if seriously considered, the solutions can be realized.

Here are my Paint master-skill renderings. I was just brainstorming, so don't hate too much.

Entrances:
View attachment 86962

Entrances + Underground Connections:
View attachment 86963
Interesting Idea. I know chicago has them under their Lakeshore drive. My only concern would be the length of them and how well they would be lit and what type of security would be needed for them. Plus you might want to use ramps instead of stairs for poel with wheelchairs, ecvs and strollers , etc.

Back