8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Let's discuss spelunking (i.e. cave exploration) and other stuff about caves.

The nearest natural cave system to Toronto is in the Blue Mountains (they're known as the Scenic Caves).

The news about the Thai youth soccer team trapped in a cave in northern Thailand is very fascinating. They survived for a few weeks and even the president of FIFA is offering them to go to Moscow for the FIFA World Cup final.

Let's discuss spelunking (i.e. cave exploration) and other stuff about caves.

The nearest natural cave system to Toronto is in the Blue Mountains (they're known as the Scenic Caves).

I know there's a cave in Rockwood, half the distance of Blue Mtns. Not very big or much of a "system", but it's public and people hang out in there. I believe there's others along the escarpment that are either unexplored or on private property.

Others I'm aware of are Warsaw Caves (costs money), and south of Marmora there's a system that's more discreet and unknown. Oh yeah and the Grotto area up on Bruce...so cool.

I know there's a cave in Rockwood, half the distance of Blue Mtns. Not very big or much of a "system", but it's public and people hang out in there. I believe there's others along the escarpment that are either unexplored or on private property.

Others I'm aware of are Warsaw Caves (costs money), and south of Marmora there's a system that's more discreet and unknown. Oh yeah and the Grotto area up on Bruce...so cool.

Thanks for this list! I've been to Warsaw Caves, but haven't heard of these others. Summer time!

The news about the Thai youth soccer team trapped in a cave in northern Thailand is very fascinating. They survived for a few weeks and even the president of FIFA is offering them to go to Moscow for the FIFA World Cup final.

Aw man, I want to go to the final!

Come ooooon, Infantino! I used to play football and I'm constantly struggling to afford rent in Toronto! Hook a brotha up!

Looks like spelunking all of a sudden becomes a fad thanks to a certain Thai youth football team.

It would be interesting if Collingwood and Mae Sai (the town closest to the now-famous cave) could be twinned as sister towns. Both have approximately 20,000 people and both are close to caves.

Looks like spelunking all of a sudden becomes a fad thanks to a certain Thai youth football team.

It would be interesting if Collingwood and Mae Sai (the town closest to the now-famous cave) could be twinned as sister towns. Both have approximately 20,000 people and both are close to caves.

Well, they're lucky - and their rescue didn't come without a price (human life and economic cost). I am not so sure if anyone who is not skilled at exploring caves and willfully ignore the dangers should have the expectation of rescue and the same confidence in their future.

AoD

Granted they are proximate to the GTA, I don't think the Scenic Caves at Collingwood are even in the same class as others. It's been a while since I've been there but I'm not sure much of it is even fully underground - more like crevices, open to the air, and they have been a tourist trip for so long the rock has been worn smooth.

Eramosa Karst is one of the closest cave systems to Toronto, it'll take around an hour to get to this geological wonderland near Hamilton. There aren't really the deep caverns that you'll find elsewhere in the province here, but there are so many nooks and crannies that it's a great way to spend a day exploring the time-worn terrain that also features streams and waterfalls.

Just got back from caving on Loon Mountain in NH. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUser...on_Mountain_Resort-Lincoln_New_Hampshire.html

Was scary AF, with me turning around mid cave. Meanwhile my kids zoomed through the dark crevasses like weasels.

Hahaha. ..........there's a 50% chance I would have bolted out of their alongside.

Rock climbing is scary enough but I love it so I can cope. Caving is one claustrophobic exercise and my fear of confinement is even more psychologically ingrained and stronger than my fear of exposure and heights.

After I watched Sanctum, you could not get me into a cave.

I did spelunking only once, in Montserrat near Barcelona. It was a really cool limestone cave.

Back