39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Should the Buildings Forum be split into sub-forums

• Yes (based on developer)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes (based on other)

• Yes (based on the combination of the above; clarify in your post)

• Not now but in the future

• Total voters

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
It would be great of the.Buildings forum (the topmost one in UT) had sub-forums with the main forum being used for more general things such as lists of buildings across Toronto and such, especially given that UT is already splitting coverage of buildings by district anyways: UT's Growth to Watch For Returning in 2019 With Broader Scope

Right now, the first page becomes almost full of unread posts each day.

What do you think? Please vote in the above poll and state your rationale. Based on other can include completion year. I voted to split based on districts. However, it would be so much work for the mods and admins to tidy things up, but it will be worth the effort (though to make things easier, those with completion years of 2018 and earlier can stay in the main forum and newer structures would be in the new sub-forums).

Last edited:
I think instead of having sub-forums in my original suggestion, which I do agree is a bit extreme and over complicated, is the ability to tag a thread. Tags such as City, District, Company, Height Range, Organization, Type of Building, Type of Transit mode, and many others can easily help organize and search for specific threads on the forum. Of course, a thread should be able to have multiple tags, some tags being more important than others.

So for example, instead of a thread being named CIBC Square | 241m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre, it can be named CIBC Square with tags [Toronto], [Downtown], [CIBC], [Hines], [WilkinsonEyre], [Adamson Associates], [Ivanhoé Cambridge], [241 metres], [50 stories], and more. Another example is TYSSE: Spadina Subway Extension (TTC) which can become Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension with tags [Toronto], [North York], [Vaughan], [TTC], [Subway], [Line 1].

Edit: Kind of like Flairs on Reddit, but much more specific.

Last edited:
I think instead of having sub-forums in my original suggestion, which I do agree is a bit extreme and over complicated, is the ability to tag a thread. Tags such as City, District, Company, Height Range, Organization, Type of Building, Type of Transit mode, and many others can easily help organize and search for specific threads on the forum. Of course, a thread should be able to have multiple tags, some tags being more important than others.

So for example, instead of a thread being named CIBC Square | 241m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre, it can be named CIBC Square with tags [Toronto], [Downtown], [CIBC], [Hines], [WilkinsonEyre], [Adamson Associates], [Ivanhoé Cambridge], [241 metres], [50 stories], and more. Another example is TYSSE: Spadina Subway Extension (TTC) which can become Toronto York Spadina Subway Extension with tags [Toronto], [North York], [Vaughan], [TTC], [Subway], [Line 1].

Edit: Kind of like Flairs on Reddit, but much more specific.
That is a much better idea (and less unwieldy too, especially given that many projects belong in multiple categories).

Back