News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

DSC, who can I/we contact to try to get rid of the tagging?

BTW, vandalism aside, the reno is remarkably successful. The park was jammed with people enjoying themselves. I was rushing so I didn't have time to capture that.

@DSC will likely deal with this area of parks far more often than I.

However, I can provide you a couple of general options.

1) Phone/email 311:

2) Phone/email the councillor. That is Kristyn Wong-Tam.

1622409183111.png

3) Phone the General Supervisor of Parks in this area: (this park is Ward 13)

1622409133467.png

The best solution is heavy community engagement, involvement and a sense of ownership to nip tagging and other issues in the bud.
And broad dissemination of the FACT that tagging is the adult equivalent of “I was here” written on the chalkboard in 5th grade and is for TOTAL LOSERS. I swear if I ever find out who tags those little puzzle piece men all over the east side I will find and tag them permanently. 😘

@DSC will likely deal with this area of parks far more often than I.

However, I can provide you a couple of general options.

1) Phone/email 311:

2) Phone/email the councillor. That is Kristyn Wong-Tam.

View attachment 323771

3) Phone the General Supervisor of Parks in this area: (this park is Ward 13)

View attachment 323770
The St James Park supervisor is Heidi Weidelich but all complaints/comments may be best routed via 311 so they get logged and counted. There is also a Friends group who are, I am sure, WELL aware of this. But .. fsjptoronto@gmail.com Though the Councillor's office is quite responsive, it makes little sense going there unless you have no 'worker contacts" or unless you get no satisfaction

No. Just make them clean it, in front a well-remunerated supervisor in a lawn chair (me) paid for by the perpetrator.
Preferably with a BoB Ross like demeanor? (Something like that would drive me nuts. >.< )

I used to be adamantly opposed to CCTV but stuff like this has me convinced that we need tens of thousands of AI capable CCTV cameras deployed all over the city so vandals can be spotted and tracked in real time .... then fined/imprisoned. We all paid money, through taxation, for this to be built only to have some animal destroy it?

And yes, jail time is warranted here. If they don't care about us why should we care about them? Lock them up.

Two positions are compatible:

1. This type of vandalism is bad and it's sad to see this kind of thing happen, especially to something so beautiful.

2. We should not implement a security state and draconian policies in order to attempt to penalize it since that can have knock-on consequences that are even more negative for society than the original problem and wont likely be that effective anyway.

Two positions are compatible:

1. This type of vandalism is bad and it's sad to see this kind of thing happen, especially to something so beautiful.

2. We should not implement a security state and draconian policies in order to attempt to penalize it since that can have knock-on consequences that are even more negative for society than the original problem and wont likely be that effective anyway.
This is why i find the debate problematic, as it always leads to rolling back our civil liberties over this which is much more problematic. But it also goes without saying that stuff like this is why people can't have nice things. And it takes one bad actor to spoil it for everyone...

That said, I wonder when making public works of this nature, they should use materials and treatments that would make something like this more tag proof. As to when an offense is made, it can more easily and readily be removed with little or no damage to the works. This while not a perfect option, but would far be better than having CCTV police state where skulls are cracked if folks where to smile at said public works wrong.

Maybe a controversial take, but CCTV with AI monitoring in public places doesn't seem like a big invasion of privacy. We have ring doorbells watching you as you walk down the street already...

I used to be adamantly opposed to CCTV but stuff like this has me convinced that we need tens of thousands of AI capable CCTV cameras deployed all over the city so vandals can be spotted and tracked in real time .... then fined/imprisoned. We all paid money, through taxation, for this to be built only to have some animal destroy it?

And yes, jail time is warranted here. If they don't care about us why should we care about them? Lock them up.
Nope.

Firstly not only is having an overpoliced state not the ideal outcome, but avoiding CCTV and fines would be easy (wear masks, etc). It's not the solution here.

Firstly not only is having an overpoliced state not the ideal outcome, but avoiding CCTV and fines would be easy (wear masks, etc). It's not the solution here.

I doubt vandalism of this sort is premeditated to the point of someone resorting to wearing masks for it.

AoD

Oh I agree but I'm saying that's an easy bypass. You won't stop vandalism with additional CCTVs is my point.

I don't think you would stop them, but I do think CCTV allows for tracability and evidence should these individuals make multiple attempts - at different locations. We don't even have a cue right now as to who did it.

AoD

Last edited:

Back