News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

They must make so much money on Saturdays one wonders if they really need to open at all during the rest of the week.

It's a tourist attraction? I thought it was for people to buy local goods.

They must make so much money on Saturdays one wonders if they really need to open at all during the rest of the week.

Hard to believe they close on Sundays. How 1905 is that? They should at least do a trial opening a few times and see if it is worthwhile. Just my opinion.:)

Hard to believe they close on Sundays. How 1905 is that? They should at least do a trial opening a few times and see if it is worthwhile. Just my opinion.:)

They had at least one vote on the issue with a majority of the tenants voting to stay closed Sunday and Monday. And they are closed the rest of the week by 6PM. They'd have a lot more of my money if they had better hours.

The money they must make on Saturday, when the place is a total zoo, probably makes opening the rest of the week unnecessary for many of them.

^ you really got your point across the second time. I was a little bit unsure of your opinion when you posted above, but the reiteration really helped. Thanks for that.

I agree; the not-open-on-Sundays aspect actually adds to the Market's charm--as in: "gentrification stops here".

And the Antique market in the N Building sorta compensates for it all.

Most of the stores in the SLM are family owned and operated. I visit at all times and days and almost always there are the exact same people behind the counters. They recognize me, give advice on what's good to buy that day, make small talk, and give me deals or "extras" sometimes -- this is the sort of thing that makes shopping at the SLM more pleasant than a typical grocery store.

If they were forced to open Sundays and Mondays the owners would have to hire minimum wage help to cover those extra hours. Then you'd be served by the same indifferent and unknowledgeable 15-year-olds that staff Dominion and Sobeys and there'd be no point in going to the market at all.

Most of the stores in the SLM are family owned and operated. I visit at all times and days and almost always there are the exact same people behind the counters. They recognize me, give advice on what's good to buy that day, make small talk, and give me deals or "extras" sometimes -- this is the sort of thing that makes shopping at the SLM more pleasant than a typical grocery store.

If they were forced to open Sundays and Mondays the owners would have to hire minimum wage help to cover those extra hours. Then you'd be served by the same indifferent and unknowledgeable 15-year-olds that staff Dominion and Sobeys and there'd be no point in going to the market at all.

There would be no point aside from the variety of vendors, and quality of the food. The people make a difference, but it wouldn't ruin the experience. I've also liked markets for the opportunity to haggle, but that's not really in the St. Lawrence Market's culture.

The farmers market in the north building once a week also acts as quite a draw. I think the Saturday situation vis a vis the rest of the week is akin to businesses ( electronics, fashion etc. ) that do a significant amount of their annual business from late December to early January, or maybe similar to clubland at the weekends.

Back