News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ROAD RECONSTRUCTION_ SCOTT STREET / WELLINGTON STREET EAST

The City of Toronto will be reconstructing TTC track allowance on Wellington Street East between Scott Street and Yonge Street. To complete this work Scott Street will be closed at north limit of Wellington Street. Right-turns from westbound Wellington Street to northbound Scott Street will be restricted from September 6 to September 19. Through traffic on Scott Street will also be restricted. Road reconstruction will also be taking place at Front Street and Church Street on the south traffic island. Work on the traffic island will take place from September 6th until September 12th

The art to install street lighting poles or what is this? Why so many?

F6103E38-6F70-4E8C-AA6D-AF50B2D2B2C4.jpeg
642B4467-5082-49B2-9CC8-1E7139D932C9.jpeg
5D07DCA7-9D5D-4407-86EE-4CF9436A7D6A.jpeg

The art to install street lighting poles or what is this? Why so many?

View attachment 424809View attachment 424810View attachment 424811

In the top image, the middle pole appears to be the TTC's to support wiring for the Streetcar; the other two are streetlights. Though I don't know why they would need one on that side of Wellington........hmmmm

Hydro and the TTC used to share poles, and still do on a legacy basis in some spots; but the TTC is adamant about not sharing w/them; something went awry between those two organizations and they decided not to share anymore. Thus doubling the number of poles required along TTC Streetcar routes.

If its not a TTC pole, the alternative is that the City wants to mount a traffic light on it; because the City doesn't want its intersection poles shared with streetlights, where possible, either.

Government cooperation at work.

The two street lighting fixtures exist in that image, because one is meant to provide light primarily to Wellington, while the other is to provide light to Church Street.

Is light necessary in both spots? Yes, there would be a gap of light coverage that would create shadows which might make an accident more likely..

However, the light need not be at that exact spot, height or style.

A very good case could be made here for a '"Victorian-Style" Bollard light, with the lighting coming out at about waste height, it can be set-up to push light both up and down to ensure proper coveage, and would significantly reduce the visual infringement on the Flat Iron.

But there are other additional options, because lighting can be quite powerful, and directional, it would be easy enough to Mount lights on the roofline or terrace line of one of the nearby buildings to illuminate that spot.

Lots of choices, but you have to care first, then think, then design, then do, in that order.........on this project every step was missed, more than once.

The art to install street lighting poles or what is this? Why so many? View attachment 424810

BlogTO earlier today:
A spokesperson from the city said specifically, the project will "increase pedestrian safety in a number of ways" including consolidating the number of poles on the street and providing wider, better lit and more accessible sidewalks and reducing road crossing distances.

The design of these new street poles and placements were made in consultation with the local Business Improvement Area and "key stakeholders."

This section of track would have been well suited to the return of cobblestone; but doubtless the TTC would have objected, it probably doesn't have anyone on staff who remembers how to install/maintain it............

Still, I wonder if they could have considered a stone pattern imprint on the concrete, that can be done to look nice and almost realistic.

I was over by 158 Front East this weekend, looking at the streetscape there.

I applaud the BIA's intervention to do a wider sidewalk here, I'm not really keen on how this has turned out thus far:

DSC09478.JPG

DSC09479.JPG

DSC09480.JPG

Observations:

1) They created a large planting trench here, and then preceded to cover most of it in concrete, even though that isn't terribly useful (with trees in the way, its not really a good through-route for walkers), I don't know they they
didn't leave more exposed soil. Its better for the trees and you can plant around it.

2) Maybe its hiding under the plyons, but I didn't notice the plugs for heritage pedestrian lights.

3) The two rows of interlock underwhelm, and I'm not keen on the lifeless shade of gray.

DSC09488.JPG

Also, what's this variable width here? The turning lane is in place along the entire length of the sidewalk, yet it narrows at the intersection, where it arguably needs to be widest.

I went to St. Lawrence Market yesterday (Tuesday) to get a bag of coffee from Everyday Gourmet. I got there at 6:20. Everything was either closed or closing. I asked a neighbouring merchant who was closing up shop what was going on. I told him it was my understanding that the market was supposed to stay open until 7pm. He told me that Tuesdays have "flex hours." I told him that I hadn't of that. I asked him how long these flex hours are going to continue, He said a few weeks. I asked him what a few weeks was. He said about 6 weeks. He then told me that next time I should get to the market earlier. I didn't bother arguing. I wasn't happy, to say the least.

So, are these flex hours a sign that the merchants are revolting against the market's new, extended schedule?

Last edited:
I went to St. Lawrence Market yesterday (Tuesday) to get a bag of coffee from Everyday Gourmet. I got there at 6:20. Everything was either closed or closing. I asked a neighbouring merchant who was closing up shop what was going on. I told him it was my understanding that the market was supposed to stay open until 7pm. He told me that Tuesdays have "flex hours." I told him that I hadn't of that. I asked him how long these flex hours are going to continue, He said a few weeks. I asked him what a few weeks was. He said about 6 weeks. He then told me that next time I should get to the market earlier. I didn't bother arguing. I wasn't happy, to say the least.

So, are these flex hours a sign that the merchants are revolting against the market's new, extended schedule?
The flex hours on Tuesday (only) were to end yesterday. From the SLM website:
Tuesdays - Fridays - 9am / 7pm*
Saturdays - 7am / 5pm
Sundays - 10am / 5pm
Mondays - Clos

*Some merchants may close or have reduced hours on Tuesdays until Tuesday, September 6.

Back