News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

If those squares reserved for trees I’m assuming it’s quiet a zickzack parcours walking down this sidewalk on Wellington St!

635931ED-221E-434E-9B92-7D9FD0389EC6.jpeg

76F00A5C-6944-4629-A116-9A638E7D130B.jpeg

If those squares reserved for trees I’m assuming it’s quiet a zickzack parcours walking down this sidewalk on Wellington St!

View attachment 426123

View attachment 426124

Not the way I would choose to design this; but hopefully it works out well.

A single row, with open soil trench (with periodic openings for people to cross the road etc.) would likely have provided better growing conditions at the same or less cost.......

(vs the trench covered by reinforced floating sidewalk, which is what they've used in photo number 1)

View attachment 426123

View attachment 426124
The 'sidewalk' is the grey-brick area next to the buildings. The red brick part with the trees is supposed to be for seating and patios. Though widening the Wellington sidewalks (as has happened) was one of the motivators for this work, the real driver was patio space for what was (and may be again) a row of quite busy restaurants. That also explains why the tree trenches are below concrete slabs. You can't put a patio onto a flowerbed!

Are those awful, cobra-head lights temporary until more heritage-inspired lights get installed? Please say yes.
Yes, the permanent lights are, supposedly, LED. What they will look like I do not know but the ones there now are NOT permanent and the final ones will get power from inside the poles - not overhead wires.

Last edited:
An article on Au Pain Doré, which plans to open later this month or in early October at Front & Market:

Morgan said the new Toronto location for Au Pain Doré is currently under construction with opening now scheduled for either late September or early October.

“It’s going to be the flagship Au Pain Doré in Ontario. It’s a large location. We’re really making it a nice, nice store. With nice furnishings. A great experience. This is a showcase of this brand in Ontario,” said Morgan, adding that the brand will likely continue to expand in Ontario and beyond with additional franchises.

The location will be just under 1,900 square feet.

An article on Au Pain Doré, which plans to open later this month or in early October at Front & Market:

I used to buy bread at Au Pain Dore for many years when I lived in Montreal and am looking forward to their arrival just 'down my street". Last week someone at the site who seemed to know, told me that they would open the day after Thanksgiving. I look forward to it.

Trees etc on Wellington. They have now just about finished the north side sidewalk from Church to Leader Lane and are set to do the bricks from Leader Lane to Scott. Today they are also excavating the final section of the old streetcar tracks west of Scott and, I suspect will be pouring concrete on it too. Note the two lines of trees and 'pedestrian' lights in the photo, I think there will only be one line of each west of Leader Lane due to the bump-in for parking.

IMG_1048[1].JPG

@DSC beautiful with those trees. Wasn’t so bad walking through it. Less of a Zickzack as I expected.

However, the south side sidewalk is looking shabby compared to the north. So this will be redone?

Also, going north on Church from there. Those cones where trees should be is sad looking!

6C6C7B58-52AC-41FC-9000-11FEA27D1432.jpeg
B54964E1-76E8-45C7-99B8-B7A2A72B6771.jpeg

@DSC beautiful with those trees. Wasn’t so bad walking through it. Less of a Zickzack as I expected.

However, the south side sidewalk is looking shabby compared to the north. So this will be redone?

Also, going north on Church from there. Those cones where trees should be is sad looking!

View attachment 428755View attachment 428754
Yes, the south side of Wellington will be done next, from Church to Yonge, it will not have such a wide sidewalk but will have trees, I think one row only plus pedestrian lighting at least from Church to Scott. The trees (or tree pits) you note on Church were installed by the condo developers and they are still, I think, responsible for them. I reported them to 311 several months ago but, if they are City trees, it will certainly be next year before anyone does anything. If they are developer trees then Forestry needs to force them to replant. Until recently they were more of a hazard as the cones were not there and, as the cone migration season approaches, the cones will doubtless soon be off to warmer climes!

The trees (or tree pits) you note on Church were installed by the condo developers and they are still, I think, responsible for them. I reported them to 311 several months ago but, if they are City trees, it will certainly be next year before anyone does anything. If they are developer trees then Forestry needs to force them to replant. Until recently they were more of a hazard as the cones were not there and, as the cone migration season approaches, the cones will doubtless soon be off to warmer climes!

Those trees will be the City's by now.

They had been planted by late 2018, the standard warranty is two years after planting. (The City is looking at going to three I believe, but it would have been two for this development for certain)

So we're long past that now.

* The exception would be if the trees were reported dead prior the two years being up, but that seems unlikely.

Reactions: DSC

Back