News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

TRUE-TRUE Italian pizza place on King just east of Jarvis seems to have (finally) closed. For Rent signs in windows.

The former Aveda store building on King just east of the Sculpture Garden now has a For Sale sign up. I had thought it belonged to the City (as the building on the west side of the Garden does) but apparently not. It is not (yet?) listed on MLS.

Secondary neighbourhood note, I've spoken to City staff about traffic (shopping) levels in St. Lawrence Market on Sundays; I'm told the numbers were very good in August, but have fallen off considerably in September.

The experiment may be jeopardy if numbers don't go back up. Lots of vendors remain unhappy w/Sunday openings.
I spoke to vendor on the main level of the market a few weeks ago. He said Sundays were busy but weekdays from 5 to 7 were quiet and not worth his while business-wise. I don't think the city or the market have done much in the way of advertising the new hours.

TRUE-TRUE Italian pizza place on King just east of Jarvis seems to have (finally) closed. For Rent signs in windows.

The former Aveda store building on King just east of the Sculpture Garden now has a For Sale sign up. I had thought it belonged to the City (as the building on the west side of the Garden does) but apparently not. It is not (yet?) listed on MLS.
True True Diner (as it became) closed in July 2020. It took so long for the space to be listed.

That section of King E. has so much dead retail. I wish it would liven up, the area should have a high enough population to support more retail there.

Scaffolding going up at the hotel addition site.
2A73DBB6-59CE-4ED5-A154-59165A295849.jpeg

Last edited:
I think if done right, this is a real opportunity to make that stretch of King look nicer and make it much more lively (3,000 new residents in a few condos a block south won't hurt either on that front). A nice hotel and restaurant there would be a great addition to the neighbourhood.

Re-starting hotel operations, gee!

The site at 45 The Esplanade will be the third temporary shelter location to decommission in 2022 because the property owner will re-start hotel operations in 2023. This shelter program will close to new admissions on October 12, and the City, in partnership with its operating partner, Homes First Society, will work with residents to develop individual relocation plans, which could include transition to permanent housing or a move to another shelter. All resident relocations will be completed before December 31, 2022.

From a City Press Release on shelters issued today!

I think this stretch of King E will change a lot in the coming 10 or so years with additional condos being built, two nearby subway stations as part of the Ontario line, improvements to St. Lawrence market, improvements to the waterfront down the street, etc. It currently feels a bit in limbo but there's a lot of potential.

I think this stretch of King E will change a lot in the coming 10 or so years with additional condos being built, two nearby subway stations as part of the Ontario line, improvements to St. Lawrence market, improvements to the waterfront down the street, etc. It currently feels a bit in limbo but there's a lot of potential.
I worked at George Brown quite a few years ago (when the Starbucks was still on King!) and have now lived near King E for the last few years, and it has always been sleepier than you would think considering the relatively dense neighbourhood. I think change is coming, but it hasn't come so far, so it may be more resistant than we think.

I'd say there's a there's a dome and flagpole missing on the west side over the porte-cochère.
I tried to find an old photo but could not. I am not sure there was ever a dome - it was not uncommon to have these 'towers' with flat roofs. Maybe someone (@Charrioterer where are you!) may find more info.

I found this one which seems to show that the 'tower' had a peaked 'roof'

1665612905150.png

Last edited:

Back