No surprise here:

The hospital believed it had just the man for the job – an executive with a background in health care and construction.
Vas Georgiou had been the chief administrative officer of Infrastructure Ontario, the agency responsible for all of the province’s major public-sector building projects, and before that, a senior executive at another Toronto hospital, St. Joseph’s Health Centre.

Mr. Aquino did not specify when the work began, but suggested it started while Mr. Georgiou was a senior executive at Infrastructure Ontario – the procurement agency that had awarded Bondfield several contracts, including multiple hospital projects and some of the facilities for the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto. Mr. Georgiou worked at Infrastructure Ontario from 2006 until he was dismissed in 2012, after he was implicated in a false invoice scheme at Toronto’s York University.

IO looks remarkably inept relative to investigations by either the Globe or Zurich. And the cherry on top? The guy was the CAO for IO previously.

AoD

Last edited:
No surprise here:

WOW! That's quite a messy story that implicates St Mikes, IO and, of course, Bondfield. The last paragraph says a lot! Top two floors STILL unfinished. WOW, just WOW!

In its statement, Unity Health characterized Zurich’s lawsuit as an “attempt to get out of its obligations under the surety bonds,” and noted that the healthcare network has countersued the insurer.

For its part, Zurich said, through its lawyer, that it disagreed with that assertion. “This litigation is about corruption in a publicly funded procurement process.”

As for the project itself, St. Michael’s has opened six floors of the new tower for patient care, as well as a COVID-19 vaccination clinic. The top two floors remain under construction, Ms. Divell said.

WOW! That's quite a messy story that implicates St Mikes, IO and, of course, Bondfield. The last paragraph says a lot! Top two floors STILL unfinished. WOW, just WOW!

In its statement, Unity Health characterized Zurich’s lawsuit as an “attempt to get out of its obligations under the surety bonds,” and noted that the healthcare network has countersued the insurer.

For its part, Zurich said, through its lawyer, that it disagreed with that assertion. “This litigation is about corruption in a publicly funded procurement process.”

As for the project itself, St. Michael’s has opened six floors of the new tower for patient care, as well as a COVID-19 vaccination clinic. The top two floors remain under construction, Ms. Divell said.

I wonder what, if any, punishment did the board and CEO of SMH at the time receive for their failures? And IO also need to answer for their ineptitude in their investigation.

re: Last two floors - not sure if it was part of this project ( I think it is the new MS centre).

The other thing I want to know is how much will this project finally cost - relative to the high bid from PCL (which apparently has superior design, per the article, as well).

AoD

Last edited:

- Opened six floors

- Two under construction.

- 17 storey tower

- What happened to the other 9 floors?

• Love
Reactions: DSC
I wonder what, if any, punishment did the board and CEO of SMH at the time receive for their failures? And IO also need to answer for their ineptitude in their investigation.

re: Last two floors - not sure if it was part of this project ( I think it is the new MS centre).

The other thing I want to know is how much will this project finally cost - relative to the high bid from PCL (which apparently has superior design, per the article, as well).

AoD
IO also needs to look at its procurement decisions and safeguards going back (as well as forward). It is also interesting that St Mikes hired someone fired by York University for corruption. Did they not ask for references? Did York not tell them? Did nobody in the field know? I suspect this is just the tip of a huge iceberg to do with construction and development in Ontario. The revelations last week in Star about the 'links' between the Tories and various construction/development companies are part of this saga.

See

https://www.thestar.com/news/invest...nce-behind-the-push-to-build-highway-413.html

and, of course, Mr Van Loan at:

Last edited:
A minor accounting "error"?

If floors were thought of as money; and more than 1/2 were unaccounted for...........

I don't think 'minor' would be the most apt term to describe the error!

The last paragraph says a lot! Top two floors STILL unfinished. WOW, just WOW!
...and they're probably needed now more than any other time. This reeks of /fail as well as corruption. /bleh

Jun 9, 2021

D6A74E96-A985-4056-8B3E-B9E6888447B0_1_201_a.jpeg

2F52A27D-3E5F-4E03-A96B-868B10B00255_1_201_a.jpeg

0D1B49F9-C6EE-4F0D-9E5C-42167527DB78_1_201_a.jpeg

78D49829-AC15-4502-86BF-F695C51A69EF_1_201_a.jpeg

8AF75CD1-0562-4B6C-B755-4A3F23863A16_1_201_a.jpeg

Slowly, but surely, units continue to move in to the new tower.

Respirology apparently moved in this past June.

The in-patient part of this unit serves extended-stay patients w/CF.

Nice to see them get private rooms, private bathrooms and amenities unique to their circumstances such as an in-room exercise bike.

The HP designed MS Centre - from Architectural Record by @AlexBozikovic:

AoD
Looks fantastic and I sent the article to two friends who both go to that Clinic - both say they have yet to see it as their docs are still only doing Zoom consultations!

Back