8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

grey

Member Bio
Reaction score
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/797428--would-a-bridge-at-dundas-and-spadina-save-lives?bn=1

1717cd0141f98da0087d7a5.jpg

Short-sighted idea. Creating choking bottlenecks at each corner won’t help anyone do anything except get trampled and ignore the buskers. They need to just make a scramble at the intersection.

This seems ridiculous... if it's 7.5 m high noone's going to want to climb it anyway and they'll just cross the street the normal way, the cars won't be looking for them and we'll get more accidents.

My solution would be to fire the Toronto Star staff person who thought a half-assed idea from a UofT frosh was newsworthy. No offense to the students (they're young) but this idea doesn't make any sense.

What an ugly structure! We want to take down crap from the sky (i.e. the Gardiner) but then put like this up? This would be shot down at City Hall in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
This seems ridiculous... if it's 7.5 m high noone's going to want to climb it anyway and they'll just cross the street the normal way, the cars won't be looking for them and we'll get more accidents.

In Vegas they installed escalators and sometimes elevators at all 4 corners and put up fencing to prevent a person from crossing the street the normal way.

Of course, in Nevada law, the pedestrian is often at fault if they get hit by a car and this causes some drivers to attempt to hit pedestrians (lane changes, speeding up, etc.); so the bridges really are to protect tourists from cities where J-Walking is common.

I would proposed a system of catapults and nets. It would be way more fun, much better used, and just as wheelchair-accessible.

Scramble might be ok, or you could go Vegas-style and add some weatherproof escalators and elevators for the overpass:

Mar_Bridge%202%20with%20Escalators%20over%20Spring%20Mtn%20Road.JPG

It would be so much simpler to ban turning at the intersection and force the turns onto quieter sidestreets like everywhere else downtown.

I don't get why this science fair is getting so much play in the press.

I could think of better things to spend $500,000 on. Is there such a thing as a "right turn light" that allows drivers to turn right before the pedestrians get a green? That would be a lot simpler.

Back