News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

it does matter, you can get 150 cm a year, but if it 20 cm a storm and then it melts it is not a problem.

If you get 150 cm a year and there is 150 cm on the ground, then I think any major city would be in trouble.

However in Montreal, they always remove snow which we rarely do here.

it does matter, you can get 150 cm a year, but if it 20 cm a storm and then it melts it is not a problem.

If you get 150 cm a year and there is 150 cm on the ground, then I think any major city would be in trouble.

However in Montreal, they always remove snow which we rarely do here.
Montreal is much colder than here, and gets less thaws - and more snow. Also, there have been massive complaints this year in Montreal on how poor the snow collection has been - the media has been full of it - just like Toronto.

The difference between snowfall in Toronto and other cities is less than you guys think. Ottawa doesn't get anywhere near 300 cm of snow per year, the only city that does is Quebec City. Average snowfall for cities across Canada can be found here.

Average annual snowfall, 1971-2000:

Toronto: 133 cm
Ottawa: 203 cm
Montreal: 217 cm
Quebec City: 316 cm
Winnipeg: 111 cm
Calgary: 127 cm
Edmonton: 124 cm
Halifax: 152 cm

It's so much more difficult in Toronto, compared to most other Canadian cities in the downtown core because there is such a massive concentration of people that unless you have the sidewalks completely clear before 7am, the sheer impact of pedestrians packign the snow down make it difficult for snow clearing to occur.

It's warmer here, but we have lake effect. We also get substantially more precip than most of the prairies.

Ah, but that's the point. Ottawa gets 300 cm of snow in a year. I just checked Environment Canada's data for Toronto (XTO) for winter 2006/2007. 43 cm total - with the maximum ever reported on the ground of 19 cm. (FYI it reports 108 cm this year to Feb 11).

Ottawa doesn't get anywhere near 300 cm of snow per year - as in this winter

I said Ottawa has had close to 300 centimetres of snow this year - as in this winter

And just so you know, 2006/2007 is not this year. About 163 cm have fallen so far this winter in Toronto.

While snow removal may have suffered this year in Montreal, it is still better than what goes on here.

I said Ottawa has had close to 300 centimetres of snow this year - as in this winter
Oh okay...I missed that. I was just comparing average snowfall between cities to show that the difference in snowfall between Toronto and other cities isn't as high as most people think.

And just so you know, 2006/2007 is not this year. About 163 cm have fallen so far this winter in Toronto.
Thanks for the tip, helpy :rolleyes: Like I said, I was comparing averages.

By the way, you misquoted me.

Well, I was relying on an earlier post for the 300 cm number for Ottawa ... should have known better.

One significant difference however is the melting. Typically in Toronto much of the previous dump has melted by the time the next one comes - the last 3-4 weeks excepted. This is less true in Ottawa and Montreal.

Wow.. I just walked along Richmond St. West earlier tonight and passing Portland the snowbanks were taller than I am (6ft).

I can see how this can start to become a very big problem if it snows more without what's currently on the floor being cleared.

By the way, does anybody know which number I would call to report a home or business not clearing the snow on their stretch of sidewalk?

Walking to work tonight was quite a chore and it's been days since the last storm, much after the 12hr clearing deadline.

I have the the snow clearing operation from the Train on the side street.

Wow some people are lazy. They are now digging their cars out now.

How hard can it be... My car gets that coverd in snow and the street has like 30 cm and yet my small Toyota has no problems and gets through.
I think that (apart from seniors) are a bunch of wimps.

Back