Daveography

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Construction starts at stalled Edmonton's Station Pointe development
Concrete pilings are finally creeping skyward at Belvedere’s stalled Station Pointe redevelopment.

The first builder to break ground promises neighbourhood residents will be surprised how quickly the buildings go up.

Fortis LGS and BCM Developments started work on two five-storey mixed-use buildings and estimate construction will take roughly 15 months.

“When we start doing the walls, it goes very quickly,” said manager Barry Gach, describing a new technology that lets Fortis LGS build the steel-stud walls in segments off-site, then assemble them like Lego. “It’s a patented process.”

The site is a sore point for nearby residents. In 2010, the City of Edmonton finished decontaminating the land that had been home to meat-packing plants. It built new sidewalks, sewer systems and streets. Then the land sat vacant. Its pretty, coloured sidewalks were a reminder of the promise of a walkable, green and affordable new development.

Full Story (Edmonton Journal)

img_main_slider_station_pointe.jpg

Source: http://www.bcmdevelopments.com/index.php/find-your-condo/station-pointe

Attachments

• img_main_slider_station_pointe.jpg
    img_main_slider_station_pointe.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 2,612
Some items coming up at the Feb. 20 EDC meeting:

E. UPCOMING APPLICATIONS (February 20, 2018)
HSBC Bank Place Revitalization (Development Permit) - Formal - Erin Chartrand - Dialog Design
Station Pointe Village Building 3 (Development Permit) - Formal - Ignacio De Lorenzo - GMH Architects
Peli Manor (Rezoning) - Formal - Ed Gooch - EFG Architects
Grandin Tower I (Rezoning) - Formal - Sylvia Summers - Stantec
Brewery Residential Tower I (Development Permit) - Pre-consultation - Christiaan Odinga - Norr Architects

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/EdmontonDesignCommitee_February_06_2018_Agenda.pdf

I am actually not sure what the last three are. Grandin might be the next iteration of the Westrich proposal? Brewery Tower might be this one?

Some items coming up at the Feb. 20 EDC meeting:

E. UPCOMING APPLICATIONS (February 20, 2018)
HSBC Bank Place Revitalization (Development Permit) - Formal - Erin Chartrand - Dialog Design
Station Pointe Village Building 3 (Development Permit) - Formal - Ignacio De Lorenzo - GMH Architects
Peli Manor (Rezoning) - Formal - Ed Gooch - EFG Architects
Grandin Tower I (Rezoning) - Formal - Sylvia Summers - Stantec
Brewery Residential Tower I (Development Permit) - Pre-consultation - Christiaan Odinga - Norr Architects

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/documents/EdmontonDesignCommitee_February_06_2018_Agenda.pdf

I am actually not sure what the last three are. Grandin might be the next iteration of the Westrich proposal? Brewery Tower might be this one?

Might make a thread for Station Pointe eventually, but currently listening to David Hamilton (GMH Architects) explain to EDC why cheap wood buildings with skimpy design details make good TOD and are good enough for Edmonton.

Not that they don't have their place, but...ugh. No vision.

Last edited:
Might make a thread for Station Pointe eventually, but currently listening to David Hamilton (GMH Architects) explain to EDC why cheap wood buildings with skimpy design details make good TOD and are good enough for Edmonton.

Not that they don't have their place, but...ugh. No vision.

B.4. Station Pointe (Development Permit)
565 Belvedere Way NW
Ignacio De Lorenzo - GMH Architects

R. Labonte left the meeting during the presentation and therefore did not participate in the deliberation.

MOVED: C. Craig Motion of non support.
The Committee notes the following:
● With regard to site planning, the new building footprint is too large for the site and its configuration compromises the contiguous open space envisioned in the original approved project. The configuration of the building, and the placement of the garbage enclosure, precludes any meaningful connectivity between Fort Road and the future open space and social room envisioned for subsequent phases of the project. In addition, the Committee feels the triangular plaza which has been created as a result of this new building configuration is of an insufficient size to serve the proposed density of the development. Furthermore, this plaza will effectively be in shade for a majority of the day limiting its effectiveness.
● Stucco, whether cementitious or EIFS, is not an appropriate finishing material for a project of this nature.
● While a lighting plan is provided it is insufficient to illustrate the effectiveness of the lighting strategy. A photometric analysis is required to confirm the effectiveness of proposed lighting.
● A clear strategy is required which articulates how the public art contribution (described in the Direct Control provision) will be acquired.

SECONDED: M. Figueira
CARRIED
FOR THE MOTION: C. Craig, W. Sims, T. Antoniuk, F. Cavaliere, D. Deshpande, M. Figueira, H. Mapstone

https://www.edmonton.ca/city_govern...nDesignCommittee_February_20_2018_Minutes.pdf

@Abba I've been purposefully not talking about Station Pointe. Everything about that project was a disaster from the beginning.

This quote really nailed it:

A market study conducted by the City of Edmonton by Altus Group Economic Consulting said there were several challenges with the Station Pointe area.

“While it benefits from significant employment nodes close by and from easy access to the LRT, it is negatively impacted by the adjacent railway lines and industrial areas, dilapidated street-front retail across Fort Road, undesirable sidewalks and streetscapes, the nature of much of the commercial uses along Fort Road and by limited pedestrian activity,” the study reads.
(emphasis mine)

An update on everyone's favourite project: Station Pointe (Fort Crossing?). The developers replaced the ground-level retail facade with bricks. I'm a fan of the bricks by themselves, but I'm not so sure that I like them contrasted with the apartment/condo colour scheme. Here are some pictures I took at the site today.
20201213_135025.jpg20201213_135027.jpg20201213_135207.jpg20201213_135016.jpg20201213_134942.jpg20201213_135140.jpg20201213_135150.jpg

Its commercial space used to be advertised through CBRE, but it looks like they switched to a firm called JLL. According to the brochure, which you can find on this page, they have a daycare and a pharmacy pending so far.

Last edited:
Ahh yes, let's use a material as expensive as brick in the most plane jane cheap-ass way possible 😃 Why can't they just learn already to, ya know, design well?? I think the brick is "better" than whatever was there before but STILL.

An update on everyone's favourite project: Station Pointe (Fort Crossing?). The developers replaced the ground-level retail facade with bricks. I'm a fan of the bricks by themselves, but I'm not so sure that I like them contrasted with the apartment/condo colour scheme. Here are some pictures I took at the site today.
View attachment 288531View attachment 288532View attachment 288534View attachment 288538View attachment 288535View attachment 288536View attachment 288537

Its commercial space used to be advertised through CBRE, but it looks like they switched to a firm called Jill. According to the brochure, which you can find on this page, they have a daycare and a pharmacy pending so far.
Yep. JLL handling it now. Set for completion end of Jan/21.

Ahh yes, let's use a material as expensive as brick in the most plane jane cheap-ass way possible 😃 Why can't they just learn already to, ya know, design well?? I think the brick is "better" than whatever was there before but STILL.
FYI the architect was originally GMH, taken over by efg. GOOOOOOOOCH!

ahh yes papa goochie take away my good urban design 😩👌 💯

Back