canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is positively massive for Stouffville:

The Smart Centres land conversion is for the property located at the southeast quadrant corner of Hoover Park Drive and Highway 48 in Stouffville. The proposal intends a mixed-use development consisting of office, retirement and residential space. The land in question is to the east of the current centre. The specific proposal is seeking eight-to-12-storey office buildings, mixed-use buildings and residential buildings along the Hoover Park Drive frontage. South of the mixed-use building is a proposed 10-storey retirement building and eight-storey mid-rise residential buildings. South of Sam’s Way are several eight-storey mid-rise apartment buildings.
The land conversion request at the northeast corner of Highway 48 and Hoover Park allows for 1,050 to 1,680 apartment units and 116 to 191 townhouse units, as well as commercial uses such as a marketplace, office space, hotel and conference centre and school.
Source: https://www.yorkregion.com/news-sto...ghlight-key-projects-in-stouffville-for-2021/

This is a lot of density for a site located here:

1610054433639.png

Now don't get me wrong, it’s a tangible improvement on the current use of the site!

1610054506994.png

Difficult to see how to make this transit-friendly in the near term.

It’s 6km away to Mt. Joy Stn. and a bit over 3km to Stouffville GO.

I hope YRT starts looking at putting a more usable bus route along 48/Main Street/Markham Road. Currently, we get very infrequent service and it ends at Major Mac.

I always wondered if Sam's Way is named after Sam's Club (that later became a Wal-Mart Supercentre) and thus indirectly named after the late founder of Wal-Mart Sam Walton?

I do believe the proposal is actually a development of the greenfield north of Hoover Park Drive, NOT a re-development of the south side Smart Centre retail buildings.

You may well be correct; though I based the choice of site pic on this statement leading off the article:

is for the property located at the southeast quadrant corner of Hoover Park Drive and Highway 48 in Stouffville.

In reading the full article, it identifies two further parcels and implies the centre may not be part of the development:

The land in question is to the east of the current centre.

South of Sam’s Way are several eight-storey mid-rise apartment buildings.

Not exactly precise; and arguably contradictory.

Perhaps a map would have been useful in the article!

Image from the YouTube Video:

1610111212395.png

1610111389712.png

1610111539655.png

@Fritter I zoomed the map image from the video that I extracted above; that image, at least, IS about development to the North of Hoover Park.

not sure about how exactly great the office market is in Stouffville.. I'll be interested to see what comes of this.

I believe the SmartCentre lands have their own proposal on them for intensification.

Back