8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

denfromoakvillemilton

Member Bio
Reaction score
TORONTO - There’s one thing that can be said with certainty about the GTA transit policies put forward by the three provincial leaders: The Scarborough subway is still on track.

There were ramblings from Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig in the May edition of Toronto Life that he’d prefer to see light rail in that part of Scarborough and mayoral candidate Olivia Chow has vowed to scrap the subway line in favour of an LRT if she wins October’s municipal election.

However, all three party leaders say they have no plans to derail the $3.5-billion (including inflation) subway plan — on which $40,000 has already been spent by the TTC to get a team assembled and to prepare for the consultation process.

“We’ve heard from many in Scarborough that it is the preferred transit option for the residents of Scarborough ... We are definitely continuing with that process,†said Natheen Shan, the NDP candidate in Scarborough Rouge River.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/19/gta-transit-once-again-a-political-football

TORONTO - There’s one thing that can be said with certainty about the GTA transit policies put forward by the three provincial leaders: The Scarborough subway is still on track.

There were ramblings from Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig in the May edition of Toronto Life that he’d prefer to see light rail in that part of Scarborough and mayoral candidate Olivia Chow has vowed to scrap the subway line in favour of an LRT if she wins October’s municipal election.

However, all three party leaders say they have no plans to derail the $3.5-billion (including inflation) subway plan — on which $40,000 has already been spent by the TTC to get a team assembled and to prepare for the consultation process.

“We’ve heard from many in Scarborough that it is the preferred transit option for the residents of Scarborough ... We are definitely continuing with that process,” said Natheen Shan, the NDP candidate in Scarborough Rouge River.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/05/19/gta-transit-once-again-a-political-football

I was prepared to wish I hadn't read this (I went through donotlink.com as well) but that almost seemed like it was not a SAL column. Where was the juvenile name-calling?

Anyway, I was wondering about this part:

Tim Hudak’s Progressive Conservatives indicated last week that an east-west express subway connecting people living in Etobicoke and the eastern parts of the city to downtown Toronto is their prioirity [sic] while the other two parties appear to be more married to a line that offloads the already stretched Yonge St. line

What's been suggested in terms of a line to relieve the Yonge line? What alignment?

I love reading the comments on these Sun articles :)
I had to laugh at reading the Sun today while waiting for a hair cut as I rarely read it or view it on line.

What a rag and supporting the PC. Haft the time people who post in any of the papers have no clue what is going on or any big picture. It all me thing with no thought about other people or what things will do on all of us.

I posted some thing in the Star today on RR goods being move through Toronto and asked the question where do you plan to move the goods through any city let along Toronto since RR corridors past through then in one form or shape. Then how do you move these goods if not by rail safely if we need them to make other products? Very rare I post any newspaper site.

Transit has, is and will be a political football until the political is taken out of the picture. Even if it does happen, special groups will replace then and back to Sq One.

Its all about getting elected and reelected to hold onto a nice paying job.

I had to laugh at reading the Sun today while waiting for a hair cut as I rarely read it or view it on line.

What a rag and supporting the PC. Haft the time people who post in any of the papers have no clue what is going on or any big picture. It all me thing with no thought about other people or what things will do on all of us.

I posted some thing in the Star today on RR goods being move through Toronto and asked the question where do you plan to move the goods through any city let along Toronto since RR corridors past through then in one form or shape. Then how do you move these goods if not by rail safely if we need them to make other products? Very rare I post any newspaper site.

Transit has, is and will be a political football until the political is taken out of the picture. Even if it does happen, special groups will replace then and back to Sq One.

Its all about getting elected and reelected to hold onto a nice paying job.
Most people who comment only read the headlines (and the captions) and not bother reading the rest of the article.

Of course we have the ubiquitous Fresh_Start in there making all sorts of claims.

Wasn't he part of this forum a while ago?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...s_really_want_a_system_that_makes_sense.html#
Commuters living west of the city don’t just want more transit. They want transit that makes more sense.

That’s one of the themes in a report released Tuesday in Mississauga by a citizens’ group that emerged from last year’s Western GTA Summit, a gathering of politicians, businesses and community groups from municipalities on the west side of the Toronto region.

The report’s 28 recommendations make the case for a smarter system, including:
Smart pricing, so riders aren’t penalized for hopping aboard more than one transit system to complete a journey. Integrated schedules and service among regional agencies.
“Meaningful” discounts for people travelling outside the high-demand rush hours.
Better efforts by transit agencies, including Metrolinx, to promote trip planners and apps, tools that assist riders.

The report also suggests that transit systems seek corporate sponsorships to establish “fare holidays” — allowing free rides on public holidays, in the same way the TTC offers free sponsored service on New Year’s Eve.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...s_really_want_a_system_that_makes_sense.html#
Commuters living west of the city don’t just want more transit. They want transit that makes more sense.

That’s one of the themes in a report released Tuesday in Mississauga by a citizens’ group that emerged from last year’s Western GTA Summit, a gathering of politicians, businesses and community groups from municipalities on the west side of the Toronto region.

The report’s 28 recommendations make the case for a smarter system, including:
Smart pricing, so riders aren’t penalized for hopping aboard more than one transit system to complete a journey. Integrated schedules and service among regional agencies.
“Meaningful†discounts for people travelling outside the high-demand rush hours.
Better efforts by transit agencies, including Metrolinx, to promote trip planners and apps, tools that assist riders.

The report also suggests that transit systems seek corporate sponsorships to establish “fare holidays†— allowing free rides on public holidays, in the same way the TTC offers free sponsored service on New Year’s Eve.

They hit the nail on the head with a lot of the concerns about making transit a pleasant experience, although it's a bit sad when you stop to realize that we don't have things like cell service in subways...a bit far behind we are. Fare integration / smart pricing is a big one, and in my opinion slowly bringing all transit in southern Ontario closer and more directly under the Metrolinx umbrella is the best way to do that.

But true to the "political football" nature of transit that this thread mentions, that's all conditional upon the whims of each passing government.

That is all part of the fare integration issue that Metrolinx is starting to look at, they had to wait for PRESTO to be fully implemented before making major changes to fare structures.

I wouldn't believe Sue-Ann Levy if she was reading the time from an atomic clock. Her ridiculously caustic screeds both in the paper and on twitter, and strident defences of the Fordiban regime's many pratfalls have put her outside the ranks of credible journalism.

Back