News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Have been having some interesting Twitter chats about this site, and the rebuild viability...

Let me bring the middle tweet's image forward for discussion:

1677093731791.png

@HousingNowTO observes that the current Swansea site is actually zoned 'Neighbourhoods'. (for clarification, it is designated 'Neighbourhoods in the Official Plan and zoned Residential)

Aside from obvious need to rezone, this image shows clearly why I feel the properties to the direct east of this site at the lower/south end need to be expropriated and consolidated to the redevelopment.

It will be a huge pain to go tall at the south-west corner of the site here, SFH/Yellowbelt remains as an immediate adjacency. In addition, I strongly believe a new E-W connector street is required here, and that would necessitate taking at least 2 of the homes anyway just for the ROW.

That being the case, why stop at 2?

Last edited:
Let me bring the middle tweet's image forward for discussion:

View attachment 458122

@HousingNowTO observes that the current Swansea site is actually zoned 'Neighbourhoods'.

Aside from obvious need to rezone, this image shows clearly why I feel the properties to the direct east of this site at the lower/south end need to be expropriated and consolidated to the redevelopment.

It will be a huge pain to go tall at the south-west corner of the site here, SFH/Yellowbelt remains as an immediate adjacency. In addition, I strongly believe a new E-W connector street is required here, and that would necessitate taking at least 2 of the homes anyway just for the ROW.

That being the case, why stop at 2?
No. It is designated a Neighbourhood in the Official Plan - the Toronto Zoning By-law 569-2013 does not have a Neighbourhood zone...

This would need Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments for mid or high density residential.

No. It is designated a Neighbourhood in the Official Plan - the Toronto Zoning By-law 569-2013 does not have a Neighbourhood zone...

I am aware of that.

Yes, it is zoned Residential.

This would need Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments for mid or high density residential.

I already indicated that rezoning would be required, yes, an OPA would as well.

And that is entirely worth pursuing here.

The latest budget has no actual money for redevelopment of Swansea Mews..........

Indeed, to my astonishment.........the buildings will stand vacant another full year (2024) at a cost of 2M (security etc.)

That's a lot of pay to waste perfectly good land.

Perhaps @HousingNowTO could be persuaded to light a fire under them.

At the very least, demolition should move ahead forthwith so that money is not wasted securing condemned buildings.

But we should also be proceeding with discussions of redevelopment with all due haste.

Last edited:
The latest budget has no actual money for redevelopment of Swansea Mews..........

Indeed, to my astonishment.........the buildings will stand vacant another full year (2024) at a cost of 2M (security etc.)

That's a lot of pay to waste perfectly good land.

Perhaps @HousingNowTO could be persuade to light a fire under them.

At the very least, demolition should move ahead forthwith so that money is not wasted securing condemned buildings.

But we should also be proceeding with discussions of redevelopment with all due haste.
One fight at a time, Man... One fight at a time... o_O

I promise you it is on our "To Do" list -- but we have a finite amount of Volunteer bandwidth to apply to new projects for the first 6-months of 2024.

Back