Keele & Lawrence 1969:

77-894-02KeeleandLawrence1969.jpg

Bloor & Sherbourne 1975:

P01-1406BloorandSherbourne1975.jpg

77-019-04RosedaleBranch1974.jpg

Unknown locations, 1973:

77-070-011973.jpg

77-070-021973.jpg

I would love to see a picture of the TD Bank branch formerly at Queen & Sherbourne (subsequently a crack dispensary/Coffee Time, currently becoming a Popeye's).

Great photos, thanks for posting. If you look closely, it doesn't look like the materials in those banks were very solid, a bit flimsy looking, but there's still a kind of class notable in those photos that seems absent today. Perhaps it's the formality of people's dress.

I get the sense that TD really embraced streamlined modernity in post-war Canada. Not only with TD Centre at King & Bay, but in the new suburban branches as well. Gone was the paneled hardwood and ornate marble, in was fluorescent lighting and low teak desks. I still like the 60s-era branches better than the newest additions – they seem a lot classier (even though the quality was indeed lacking in many of the finishes back then).

TD has a whole bunch of interesting bank branches across Ontario built between 1960 and 1980 to replace old branches. The one in downtown Brampton, white brick with black panels and windows; the Owen Sound branch, where there's arched overhangs that mimic the Victorian blocks around it. Some seem to want to reflect, in minature scale, their new modern headquarters, others seem to be modernist homages to the the buildings they likely replaced. Royal Bank and CIBC also built interesting branches around this time, and I like the art moderne branches that the Bank of Montreal built in a slightly earlier period, though I find BoM later buildings to be too repetitive.

The building is still there, but converted to condos. There is still a TD branch in there, but I think it moved elsewhere within the building during conversion/renovations.

And unfortunately, it's one of those slap-on-the-stucco type condo conversions--though with something of the original form still recognizable, if you squint a bit. But the Funky 50s/60s quality's totally kaput.

The building is still there, but converted to condos. There is still a TD branch in there, but I think it moved elsewhere within the building during conversion/renovations.

Correct, it moved around the corner to a new location within the building. Nothing remains of the old branch which faced Lawrence Avenue. For those who aren't familiar with the building, it was a 1960s style office building which was converted to residential condos.

Back