8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

J-M-Z

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any new happenings, renovations, or memories you'd like to share of The Albion Centre (also known as "Shoppers World Albion")?

I remember frequenting Albion in the early '90's. Back when Albion Cinemas was still playing Hollywood movies (before converting to a Bollywood theater in the mid 90's), the K-Mart (which is now a Canadian Tire), the No-Frills that stepped in for Fortinos and a time before the middle of the mall was opened up to become the Food Court we now know today.

Other random memories include Friar Tuck's, the Silver Dollar store (or was it Family Dollar) now renamed "Your Dollar Store with More", the fast food kiosk that was parked out front that now serves Bubble Tea, Rogers (back when people actually rented movies) and the ever-changing location of The Source (formerly RadioShack).

Yet, despite it's age, location and compact size, I found Albion to be more lively than visiting the decay that is the Woodbine Centre these days.

Bonus points for sharing retro photos of Albion. :cool:

Last edited:
I remember the blockbusters that use to be there and Reitman's.

Albion is a lot busier than woodbine due to its location. A bunch of people live within walking distance.
I'm interested in what the future holds with the finch west lrt being built near it. there is plenty of space in the north section for development

Back when I lived in the neighbourhood (which was around 2005), we only went to this place for the banks.

Mind you, we were a bit waste case at the time.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The Albion Centre is the hub of a community (along with the library and community centre across the street). It will adapt, survive, and thrive. Hopefully it will orientate towards the LRT stops as well once that opens.

But Woodbine Centre? It's a lost cause without major residential redevelopment.

I noticed there is a building currently being constructed next to Auto Zone (across the road from Albion's No Frills) which may become an A & W.

On a similar note, here's a vintage ad from the 1970's advertising Big Boy Burgers in the Albion Mall:

20150114bigboy.jpg

And, the original source with an informative write up for those that would like to read more:

I can't remember the last time I heard restaurant boast of its cleanliness. And yet, it seems like quite a valuable feature in an eatery.

I noticed there is a building currently being constructed next to Auto Zone (across the road from Albion's No Frills) which may become an A & W.

On a similar note, here's a vintage ad from the 1970's advertising Big Boy Burgers in the Albion Mall:

View attachment 239654

And, the original source with an informative write up for those that would like to read more:
the building across the street will be a medical office. the A & W is being built next to the beer store

Any new happenings, renovations, or memories you'd like to share of The Albion Centre (also known as "Shoppers World Albion")?

I remember frequenting Albion in the early '90's. Back when Albion Cinemas was still playing Hollywood movies (before converting to a Bollywood theater in the mid 90's), the K-Mart (which is now a Canadian Tire), the No-Frills that stepped in for Fortinos and a time before the middle of the mall was opened up to become the Food Court we now know today.

Other random memories include Friar Tuck's, the Silver Dollar store (or was it Family Dollar) now renamed "Your Dollar Store with More", the fast food kiosk that was parked out front that now serves Bubble Tea, Rogers (back when people actually rented movies) and the ever-changing location of The Source (formerly RadioShack).

Yet, despite it's age, location and compact size, I found Albion to be more lively than visiting the decay that is the Woodbine Centre these days.

Bonus points for sharing retro photos of Albion. :cool:
the mall is okay, but it needs more. update food court, expand shoppers drug mart, and more.

I remember the blockbusters that use to be there and Reitman's.

Albion is a lot busier than woodbine due to its location. A bunch of people live within walking distance.
I'm interested in what the future holds with the finch west lrt being built near it. there is plenty of space in the north section for development
Thats good, the mall needs a renovation.

The Albion Centre is the hub of a community (along with the library and community centre across the street). It will adapt, survive, and thrive. Hopefully it will orientate towards the LRT stops as well once that opens.

But Woodbine Centre? It's a lost cause without major residential redevelopment.
Westwood square mall is trying to modernize at least.

The top 3 malls around that area:

Albion Mall (Toronto)
Woodbine Mall (Rexdale, Toronto)
Westwood Square Mall (Malton, Mississauga)

Choose your pick, and why you like or dislike it & what it could improve on.

View attachment 239654

Shoppers World Brampton?, I heard that mall was better back then and got worst now, but I still think it's good.

View attachment 239654

I wonder what the A&W Looks Like.

Here's a vintage clipping from December 24th 1964. The grand opening of Albion Cinemas with its original name:

sddssdsd.JPG

Credit to rivest266 and their massive tome of scans from cinematreasures.org.

Despite the 56 year gap between terminology, I can't recall of anyone outside of this ad referring to the Albion/Kipling area as the "Odeon Manner".

Albion Cinemas was originally a single screen cinema until 1970. Here's a photo from 1970 of the front of Albion Cinemas:
large (2).jpg

Credit: moviejs1944 from cinematreasures.org

Here's an inside shot of Albion Mall and the cinema's entrance from 1980:

large.JPG

Credit to Golden Theaters at cinematreasures.org.

Decades later, the left wall of Albion Cinemas would be downsized to allow other stores to set up shop.

Surprisingly, Albion continued to play Hollywood movies into the 1990's. Even after Cineplex Odeon opened in the Woodbine Centre
around 1985.

Last edited:
sddssdsd-jpg.239684

Despite the 56 year gap between terminology, I can't recall of anyone outside of this ad referring to the Albion/Kipling area as the "Odeon Manner".
Ummmm… ummmm… you know that they meant "Designed and built with your comfort in mind and operated in the manner for which Odeon is renowned"… right?

Not that I had any idea that the manner of Odeon's operations were renowned in any way. That is a surprise to me.

Back