Hallway/ lobby

7z2n.jpg

Could have been great with such minor aesthetic fixes.

1) No beige pre-cast at bottom... they should have just continued with the brick.
2) The tower cladding should have been black.

Agreed, on both counts. I don't like the precast at all, though it is nice they used brick for the base.

The smoked glass and relatively low ground-floor ceiling height kills the street level on this one.
Yes, the smoked glass is surely not very good for retail. That is why I had assumed the fairly large Front/Church corner main-level unit was for a restaurant but I understand they do not want one there.

^^ yeah, that kinda baffled me too, especially since they didn't use that corner for any special design features or purposes.

Read Toronto Star article about Berczy by Christopher Hume: "The Berczy shows respect to a sensitive site"

The problem is up above, where the glass and steel of the current age suddenly rears its all-too-familiar head. Contrasting with the masonry below, it feels cold and naked. Given that the complex stands only 13 storeys tall, this intrusion has been kept to a minimum. Still, for those who happen to look up, the effect can be unnerving. The sheer inappropriateness of the materials stands out all the more painfully for the warmth of the brick facades on every side.

Well said Hume.

The design above the bricked levels was an unfortunate design choice, but we knew it was coming and it's not horrible. Mostly, I think this project is a great success.

Back