Please tell me they're going to clad the south side of the re-constructed heritage building in brick...
They were supposed to do so but there is some sort of demarcation dispute on between the Berczy owners and the owners of the Fionn McCools building. The latter own the open space behind their building and have plans to roof it over and the Berczy wall seems to be getting in the way. No doubt something will eventually be worked out but the wall may end up inside the extension to the Fionn McCool building and covering it in antique (or fake antique) brick may not be worthwhile.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1B3

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 109811 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Jan 27, 2014

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations to vacant ground floor retail space for new tenant "Rexall Pharmacy"

Rexall is really pushing these highly visible stores. Church/Wellesley, Spadina/College, Church/Front. They are really trying to stay up on Shoppers level.

Agreed. Too many pharmacies. Hopefully this goes on Lower Church and not along Front.

I agree this is not very exciting, but on a practical level, both the Shopper's Drug Marts nearby are horribly stocked and expensive. This should at least provide an alternative.

Metro, No Frills and also Loblaws (on Jarvis) all have Pharmacies. There are also pharmacies on lower Sherbourne and one on The Esplanade, near Jarvis. Then you also have a pharmacy in the PATH Galleria at Front & Yonge, so that's a lot of pharmacies, all within a very small area. Basically, there are pharmacies within a few blocks, in every direction. I would much rather see a nice bakery, restaurant or some kind of other retail on this important corner.

Metro, No Frills and also Loblaws (on Jarvis) all have Pharmacies. There are also pharmacies on lower Sherbourne and one on The Esplanade, near Jarvis. Then you also have a pharmacy in the PATH Galleria at Front & Yonge, so that's a lot of pharmacies, all within a very small area. Basically, there are pharmacies within a few blocks, in every direction. I would much rather see a nice bakery, restaurant or some kind of other retail on this important corner.

Sobey's has a pharmacy too. How do all these pharmacies even stay in business!?

Pharmacies carry just about everything, hence why they can all stay in business.

Sobey's has a pharmacy too. How do all these pharmacies even stay in business!?

Drugs are big business. They have us all convinced we cannot function as normal human beings without some sort of "aid".

1. Convince everyone they are "sick", even if they are healthy.
2. There's a pill for that.
3. Profit.

What would be really, really nice to see is an upper-end restaurant similar to those on the north side of Wellington directly opposite Berczy park.

Drugs are big business. They have us all convinced we cannot function as normal human beings without some sort of "aid".

1. Convince everyone they are "sick", even if they are healthy.
2. There's a pill for that.
3. Profit.

Not just drugs either. 80% of the space inside these "pharmacies" act as convenience stores more than drug stores. According to my aunt who manages a Shoppers in Calgary, cosmetics alone make 30-40% of their profit. I guess people like the multiple locations on every block since it's so convenient to find one.

I'll be the first to do go a drug store for 2L of Coke, milk, and bread before Loblaws.

Back