Landlords love pharmacies too, because they pay the rent on time, all the time. It's much less risk than renting to restaurants, which have a high failure rate (+ noise + garbage + vermin = headaches) or independent retailers.

Not just drugs either. 80% of the space inside these "pharmacies" act as convenience stores more than drug stores. According to my aunt who manages a Shoppers in Calgary, cosmetics alone make 30-40% of their profit. I guess people like the multiple locations on every block since it's so convenient to find one.

I'll be the first to do go a drug store for 2L of Coke, milk, and bread before Loblaws.

Agreed, I use Shoppers as a convenience store. For light grocery purchases and household items it's much quicker than wading into a large store like Loblaws.

There are also a lot of elderly people who live in the co-ops along The Esplanade who probably give these pharmacies a lot of business.

Shoppers just got bought by Loblaws and I wonder if the lower food prices will remain and if more Loblaws products will pop up. Loblaws in effect took out an upstart in groceries, small as it was but with so many multiple locations. I definitely welcomed the new one at King and Tecumseh Minto building.

Agreed, I use Shoppers as a convenience store. For light grocery purchases and household items it's much quicker than wading into a large store like Loblaws.
Retail price for grocery type items is generally marked up higher at Shoppers, so it's not the most economical choice. Anyway, how far off topic are we???

Actually that's not true.... I've seen numerous items much cheaper, milk, cheese, crackers, chips, pop.

I agree completely !! Shoppers has really good deals on select items ... few ... but still ... e.g. milk / eggs / pop are consistently less !

Many other things (when not on sale) are not e.g. cereal / forzen meals ... I get most items from a grocery store but save things like mentioned above for a walk back home to pick up from shoppers !

And on top of that Shoppers have one of the best points programs out there. We currently buy about 1/3 of our groceries at Shoppers but if they had more selection that could easily jump past 50%.

And on top of that Shoppers have one of the best points programs out there. We currently buy about 1/3 of our groceries at Shoppers but if they had more selection that could easily jump past 50%.

Their Simply Food branded snacks are cheap AND really good. Honestly, best ruffled chips out there- super thick cut and unique flavours (I swear, I have no financial interests in their chips haha).

But yes, this off topic. Although I find SDM to be more exciting than the architectural pile that this thread is about.

Yeah, so... back on topic - I think Rexall will actually be good here. Their new store designs are quite attractive - think FCP and Church & Wellesley.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1B3

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 134427 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Mar 27, 2014

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to Unit 6 for new Tim Hortan's restaurant with 22 seats. Convenience address - 20 Lower Church St.

TORONTO ON M5E 1B3

Description: Interior alterations to Unit 6 for new Tim Hortan's restaurant with 22 seats. Convenience address - 20 Lower Church St.

Ah, I predicted this move when the old Front St. E Wendy's closed. Makes sense. And the permit for the Tim Horton's on Lower Jarvis across from the new Shopper's is still active, too, so it looks like there will be two new ones appearing within a short distance. The chainification of the SLM neighbourhood continues... Shopper's, Tim's, Rexall, Jack Astor's.

Pedantic aside, are the people who input data into these permit databases just in a ridiculous hurry or do they lack basic typing ability... "Tim Hortan's?" Seems rare to see a permit without some sort of bizarre typo in it.

Back