adma

[at least, that's the vivid title bestowed by Planetizen...]

www.riverfronttimes.com/I.../news.html

News Real
Paint It Black
Downtown's movers and shakers can't wait for St. Louis Centre's overhaul
By Mike Seely

Published: Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Calling St. Louis Centre a "struggling mall" doesn't quite capture the perennial air of failure that the downtown albatross has carried throughout most of its twenty-year existence.
"I just cringe to think what the average tourist would think of our downtown after visiting St. Louis Centre," says loft developer Craig Heller. "If I see conventioneers down here asking where to shop, I never send them to St. Louis Centre."

"It remains the one big black eye for downtown the way it is right now, particularly from the standpoint of conventioneers," seconds Jim Cloar, executive director of the Downtown St. Louis Partnership. "I can tell whether they've gone east or west on Washington Avenue based on their feedback. If they say, 'Downtown's dead,' I know they've gone east on Washington. If they've had a positive experience, I know they've gone west.

"It's almost like a psychological Berlin Wall," Cloar adds, describing the four-story building where the vacancy rate stands at more than 50 percent. "People just don't want to go past it."

In the summer of 2004, public-private civic booster Downtown Now! was so intent on bidding good riddance to St. Louis Centre that the organization offered to buy the facility out of foreclosure for $4 million — ostensibly to raze the building and redevelop in its footprint.

"The city was fully behind us," recalls Downtown Now! executive director Tom Reeves of the bid. "We didn't anticipate that anyone would go to the foreclosure sale and pay it off in full."

But a low-key, California-based investor named Barry Cohen surprised everybody by doing just that.

Cohen, who in 1993 purchased the historic Jefferson Arms apartment complex on Tucker Boulevard, snapped up the entire moribund mall at a courthouse auction for $5.4 million — or one-nineteenth of its 1985 price tag of $95 million — in August 2004. In fact, Cohen, who is in the process of rehabbing a similarly downtrodden shopping center in Harrison, Arkansas, was the only person to submit a bid.

"We didn't even go," says Reeves of the auction. "We honestly thought that $4 million was pushing it, so there wasn't any missed opportunity."

Several months after taking control of the property, Cohen verbally agreed to cooperate with Reeves' plan to demolish the infamous Washington Avenue skybridge that connects the green-and-white mall to a shuttered Dillard's department store. Then, in September, Cohen pulled out of the handshake pact, deeming the plan unacceptable amid timeline concerns.

Cohen maintains he still intends to dismantle the glass-and-tile-enclosed bridge, although he won't say when, which has alienated Reeves.

"I'm very frustrated," complains the Downtown Now! executive director, who says his negotiating window with Cohen closed when the developer pulled out of the skybridge pact.

"Downtown Now! has offered several generous and creative ideas to move the process along," Reeves adds. "It is an eyesore, and it has a tremendous negative investment, which is even more magnified because everything else around it is being redeveloped."

"I think [Cohen's] heart is in the right place," says Jim Cloar. "But we would have liked to see him move a whole lot quicker."

If Cohen's Arkansas project, a sparsely populated shopping mall dubbed The Fashion Center, is any indication, he'll eventually deliver the goods — albeit on no one's timeline but his own.

When asked if his constituents have been satisfied with Cohen's stewardship, Harrison city councilman Pat Moles responds, "Yes and no. For several years he kind of let it go, and it went downhill. But the last few years, he spent some money on it. I don't know the man and have never met him, but it's doing better."

Which essentially encapsulates Cohen's modus operandi: Keep a low profile, preach patience, and then gradually generate value through a meticulously planned overhaul.

"It was tired, dated and needed a lot of money," Cohen says of his Arkansas mall. "When we bought it, it had some long-term leases at very low rates that prevented renovation. So as tenants have started to turn over, we've put a lot of money into it."

But St. Louis Centre is a different animal, at least politically.

"I'm kind of off the radar, so this has been an interesting experience for me," he acknowledges. "I didn't appreciate [the extent of negative public perception] until I bought it."

Conscious of the fact that there's no escaping the Scrooge label for now, Cohen insists better days are around the corner for St. Louis Centre. He's already lured Gold's Gym eastward from 16th Street and Washington Avenue, and says he's in negotiations with a new investor (whom he declines to identify) that could culminate in a thorough redevelopment plan as early as February.

Cohen has also been wooing Borders Books with the promise of city-approved tax breaks and has ceded the mall's vacant third floor to a five-year-old nonprofit artists' collaborative called ArtDimensions. The group considers the space a godsend.

"Once I walked through it, I realized: Everything's clean, there are floor outlets, there's track lighting, there's security, there's a garage across the street that's a dollar an hour, with a bridge that brings you right across," says ArtDimensions director Davide Weaver. "These are some beautiful things that we've never had before, which lets us focus on the art."

"The whole idea of artists doing work in a downtown mall is just wild to me," adds stencil artist Peat Wollaeger, who grew up in Webster Groves and remembers visiting the shiny new mall as an adolescent — visits that ceased once the shinier, newer Galleria opened in nearby Richmond Heights. "It's very surreal to see all this great art go up in empty spaces."

But is art a silver bullet? It depends on whom you ask.

"St. Louis Centre has got to offer something with a sense of place that's distinctive," posits Andrew Hurley, a professor of urban and environmental history at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. And like many social scientists, Hurley considers the downtown mall boom of the 1980s a nationwide urban-planning disaster.

"Downtown still has the aura of an artsy place — a cultural center. Art is an area where it has a leg up on the suburbs in terms of reputation. When they have art walks, people go down there. So I'd say an art gallery is a better bet than what was there before."

"As much as I like the idea of having a strong arts element downtown, that's not really a portion that can carry its own weight economically," counters Jim Cloar. "At one time Barry talked about bringing all of his retail down to the ground floor, which is one of the real keys.

"Back in the mid-'80s, the hard lesson we learned was that we compete best by being a downtown. Not by trying to copy the suburbs."

st louis--the city i'm contemplating moving to if i can't afford nyc. amazing old warehouses; gorgeous women.

We do have a downtown mall. Eaton Centre and it works. We have another, PATH, and I'll refrain from talking about it.

^ I know, and I had a feeling St. Louis "copied" the Eaton Centre. That's was what I was writing about.

Well, I guess that's one good example of why Toronto shouldn't be jumping to get everything that some other cities have but we don't have.

By the way, St. Louis will be getting a nice "Ballpark Village" next to the new Busch Stadium, the new home of the MLB Cardinals opening next year. I guess the city has learned its lesson.

bpv_arial1.jpg

bpv_g05.jpg

bpv_g06.jpg

bpv_g07.jpg

Well, I guess that's one good example of why Toronto shouldn't be jumping to get everything that some other cities have but we don't have.

Yeah, a mid-1980s miketoronto would be chiding us for not having something like the St. Louis Centre. Y'know, the Eaton Centre is *not the same*...

Somehow I get the feeling that the fake 'retro' ballparks in the states will be the new downtown malls in 20 years. They are certainly as much of barrier in the city.

Sleeksky: You may well be right about that. I have often wondered what use these ball parks are, other than as ball parks. How many events other than baseball games actually take place in these facilities? Most of them can't even accommodate football or other sports, and they have little or no usefulness in inclement or cold weather.

For all the criticism of Rogers Centre (a good deal of it justified IMO), the fact remains that it can be used year-round for a wide variety of events and draws people in, rather than serving as a dead zone.

Depending on the configuration of the field, the new retro ballparks can host other sports. I've heard of football/soccer played at San Francisco's SBC Park and Seattle's Safeco Field. Old ballparks like Yankee Stadium used to host football and boxing besides baseball.

I think retro ballparks have worked to bring people into downtowns in the US outside of office hours, when the downtowns are "dead". The stadiums may have cheap historicist "new urbanist" designs (except Cincinnati's Great American Ballpark, which I think is pure cheapness), but at least they are still built in an urban context, not like other new urbanist projects which are built in the suburbs. I haven't seen any mall component to the retro ballparks, unless they are pedestrian malls.

Now to prove my previous post... no, I don't believe Toronto needs a retro ballpark. I'm sure the Blue Jays and the Argos can still milk years, if not decades, of playing time from SkyDome before we need to build them new stadia.

St Louis Centre and the Eaton Centre

I don't think you can compare the St.Louis Centre to the Eaton Centre.

The fact that the Eaton Centre runs north to south with two subway and streetcar lines running at each ensures it's success.

I personally believe it's time for a complete makeover of the Eaton Centre. It has a tired and dated look, and the food court across from Sports Check is so embrassing I don't take visitors there.

I also believe that the new H & M extension and foyer is a disgrace. I much prefer the old glass foyer with the kites above. What use to be an excellent meeting place, is now one large empty foyer with no where to sit at all.

I've also read the Downtown St.Louis redevelopment plan, and they are planning and making major changes to revitalize the area.

Louroz

Re: St Louis Centre and the Eaton Centre

I am not really a fan of the retro parks. Wrigley and Fenway are great because they feel like a part of the neighbourhood, they kind of grew up around the neighbourhoods. These new parks are nice but they are too master planned, disney-esque and forced.

You can see how Fenway is just kind of there by chance, unassuming 38,000 seat stadium in a random neighbourhood
23298895_c8ce956079_b.jpg

Re: St Louis Centre and the Eaton Centre

I personally believe it's time for a complete makeover of the Eaton Centre. It has a tired and dated look, and the food court across from Sports Check is so embrassing I don't take visitors there.

I'm not sure what kind of "complete makeover" you'd have in mind, on top of everything else that's been done in recent years. Or what even "tired and dated" consists of in this case--are you suggesting the 70s galleria'd high-tech ought to be ripped down altogether and replaced by "new urbanism"?

The mitigating factor is that, unlike the St. Louis Centre and others of its ilk, the Eaton Centre *is* a success--teeming with people like it's still 1984 when all these urban malls everywhere were supposedly teeming with people. It's what they were all meant to be. It sure isn't a degraded, half-abandoned desolate wasteland--even the food court you refer to (and why even take visitors to something as banal as a food court in the first place? expectations aren't exactly high, y'know.)

Take them to Sherway's food court...it has a glass staircase, automatically opening garbage cans, and it's under a big top.

Back