News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

LowPolygon

Member Bio
Reaction score
tdcentre.jpg

Also happening that day: "On April 14th, 1966 the Beatles recorded their 12th U.S. chart topper, "Paperback Writer." The song, which was recorded during the group's Revolver sessions, was the first to prominently feature Paul McCartney's Rickenbacker bass guitar as a lead instrument."

now back to our regularly scheduled event:

unknown3.jpg

cityhall.jpg

cityhall2.jpg

lookingnorth-1.jpg

and a bit later!

eatons-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see New York Run By The Swiss in any of these old colour images (in this or the other threads). More like Buffalo run by Detroit.

The birth of the New Toronto...

Deepend: Good pics of the birth of Modern Toronto with the top out of TD Centre,New City Hall and the Eaton Centre on Yonge Street especially noted.
LI MIKE

I had forgotten how ugly the old Yonge Street facade of the Eaton Centre was. I know it has its critics but the same view of the Eaton Centre today is far superior.

Wow - first pic, TD Centre steel beam made by Dominion Bridge Frankel Steel. Hard to believe that Frankel Steel had a plant (officially called Frankel Lambert Steel mill) near Christie and Dupont maybe 35+ years ago and that I'm old enough to remember that..lol.

The site spanned from Shaw St. to Christie St. just north of the CPR tracks and has since been converted to townhouses, seniors housing, affordable housing and a catholic junior school. I seem to recall that teachers at the shool were complaining about feeling sick and that it may have been a result of soil contamination..don't recall how/if they ever resolve it.

Seeing the image of the signed beam (amazing, btw) reminds me of the pod signatures that were collected for the CN Tower in 1976. Am I crazy, or do they really exist?

I don't see New York Run By The Swiss in any of these old colour images (in this or the other threads). More like Buffalo run by Detroit.

man, thats so funny and very true in the case of the second last image! Unbelievably we have a clear view all the way to Maple Leaf Gardens to the northeast! And whats that black building near the bus terminal? I dont think it exists anymore or am I mistaken?

edit: just checked google maps and its still there at the corner of Edward and Chestnut but it would be very much blocked from view at this angle now.

Last edited:
Seeing the image of the signed beam (amazing, btw) reminds me of the pod signatures that were collected for the CN Tower in 1976. Am I crazy, or do they really exist?

I signed it at the CNE that summer before the top of the tower was put up. I'm sure the weather has long erased any signs of me up there.

cityhall.jpg

Ah yes, the old "Missile Nose Cone" style bra. Be careful not to poke your eye out!

Back