4D49C9FD-49D2-4B85-92E8-44DDB886D581.jpeg
F4BBB748-43F6-47A0-84E3-C918C9835B8C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
The eternally unfinished building on Peel Ave (not part of the Carnaby) is getting closer to completion:
I quite like this small converted warehouse building:
The interior courtyard/laneway retail spaces of the Carnaby remain vacant:
It's certainly better that they remain vacant for a period than they not exist at all. The idea (and I'm not saying you're implying this!) that everything should lease instantly is nice, but unrealistic. The developments we see go up on this website will largely outlive us, so the idea that they should be finished and done right away is nuts.

It's certainly better that they remain vacant for a period than they not exist at all. The idea (and I'm not saying you're implying this!) that everything should lease instantly is nice, but unrealistic. The developments we see go up on this website will largely outlive us, so the idea that they should be finished and done right away is nuts.

Different type of setting and built form, but the commercial spaces along the Wallace Walk Towns community has taken around 1 year and a half to 2 years to pick up traction in its retail scene. I recently visited that area and noticed the occupancy rate to be close to 40%, so the progress is encouraging to see. There isn't a one size fits all approach or formula to how retail among newer communities will develop, but the Carnaby spaces should get a boost when the public park area and pathway to Dufferin gets completed. Along with when the Brixton buildings are completed as well which adds a large amount of new residents to the area.

Last edited:
Although there is a ramp on the west side of Dufferin, I would have preferred to see a ramped access to the Toronto West Railpath integrated into this park as well, both for barrier-free accessibility, and to allow cyclists to continue north on Dufferin.

100% agree -- this park needed to be barrier-free on both sides of Dufferin. Accessibility was an afterthought here.

grades that steep make accessibility extremely challenging. Using a ramp structure you would have had the entire hill taken up by a massive concrete structure, only to reach a notional level of accessibility because of the significant amount of grade change. That amount of grade change is challenging for many people with disabilities moving under their own power, even with an accessible path of travel.

Back