8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Ronald

Member Bio
Reaction score
Where my forefathers bought the isle of Manhattan from the native Americans for a mere 60 guilders in 1614, possibly the worlds densest mass of urbanity stands today. It was here where the Dutch established a fur trading settlement called New Amsterdam. Then the darn British came in in 1664 and took this precious land from the Dutch. In walking through the city streets, I couldn't help but fantasizing about what would have become of this city if it would have stayed in Dutch hands... how awesome would it be to just speak Dutch in this most impressive city of the United States (IMHO). The only thing reflecting the Dutch heritage today is the street pattern in southern Manhattan (around Wall St) and the street names. Unfortunately, fire has destroyed the remains of the Dutch settlement in the early 1800s.

According to the University of Toronto's prominent architectural researcher, Charles Waldheim (a born and raised Floridian), this city has the most things going on (in terms of contemporary architecture) on the North American continent, along with (you guessed it) Toronto. Having been in 9 states and scores of cities across the US, I'd say that sounds just about right.

The days I spent in NYC concludes my prolonged sejour in the Americas. I have completed my senior year at the University of Florida and am now back in Rotterdam, The Netherlands where it seems the recession has done anything but slow down construction. The view from my bedroom window has changed significantly in one year... I'll post more pics of my North East US trip later (Brooklyn, Albany, Vermont). For now, enjoy these.

1. The weather on my day of arrival was nothing to write home about.
IMG_1996a.jpg

2. These were taken near City Hall.
IMG_1997a.jpg

3. South Manhattan Concrete Jungle.
IMG_1998a.jpg

4. Some coffee to warm up!
IMG_2004a.jpg

5. Such juxtapositions are everywhere in NYC.
IMG_2007a.jpg

6. Approaching Ground Zero
IMG_2009a.jpg

IMG_2011a.jpg

IMG_2012a.jpg

IMG_2013a.jpg

IMG_2014a.jpg

IMG_2015a.jpg

IMG_2016a.jpg

13. Not a lot of people in Battery Park City due to the rain.
IMG_2017a.jpg

14. Jersey
IMG_2018a.jpg

IMG_2019a.jpg

IMG_2021a.jpg

17. Arguably, these pics aren't the best, due to the lousy weather.
IMG_2022a.jpg

18. From here on, only sunny pictures: endless concrete canyons.
IMG_2038a.jpg

IMG_2039a.jpg

IMG_2041a.jpg

IMG_2042a.jpg

IMG_2043a.jpg

23. Cooper Square
IMG_2044a.jpg

24. The new (barely finished) Cooper Union.
IMG_2049a.jpg

25. Cooper Square seems to be drenched in pomo buildings.
IMG_2047a.jpg

IMG_2046a.jpg

27. The art supplies chain named after my Dutch college town.
IMG_2050a.jpg

28. I love streetscapes like this, such a stark contrast with the sunbelt states.
IMG_2051a.jpg

29. The national debt of the US?
IMG_2052a.jpg

IMG_2053a.jpg

31. So this is that renowed academy that competes with USC for the next generation of grade-A American actors?
IMG_2054a.jpg

32. Sleek and tall, the NYC way to build
IMG_2059a.jpg

IMG_2065a.jpg

34. The Flatiron, which inspired the design for the new tallest of The Hague
IMG_2073a.jpg

IMG_2077a.jpg

IMG_2080a.jpg

IMG_2081a.jpg

IMG_2084a.jpg

IMG_2086a.jpg

40. This phenomenon occurs all over NYC: cars are banned from certain thoroughfares, creating delineated pedestrian-only zones... great idea from Ms. Sadik-Khan, the city's transportation commissioner, and much needed in a city without any prominent pedestrian-only public squares/ plaza's.
IMG_2089a.jpg

IMG_2090a.jpg

IMG_2100a.jpg

IMG_2103a.jpg

44. "Like Manchester on steroids" - Darkstar
IMG_2104a.jpg

45. <3 the new pedestrianized version of Times Square.
IMG_2105a.jpg

IMG_2111a.jpg

IMG_2113a.jpg

IMG_2117a.jpg

IMG_2118a.jpg

IMG_2122a.jpg

IMG_2124a.jpg

IMG_2131a.jpg

53. Ran into this little hidden space near the MoMa.
IMG_2132a.jpg

IMG_2135a.jpg

IMG_2137a.jpg

IMG_2139a.jpg

IMG_2140a.jpg

58. Now for a quick walk through Olmsted's masterpiece.
IMG_2142a.jpg

IMG_2144a.jpg

IMG_2147a.jpg

fifty-one more pics in part two, which will bring brighter pics than the rainy ones at the beginning of this thread for sure.

Great photos. I am glad I finally got to see what the newly pedestrian Times Square looks like. I have to say, it kind of looks like the magic is missing.

I think part of the reason why this section of the city was so iconic was due to the sea of yellow cabs, with red brake lights slowly turning off and on as the cabs inched forward. Looking at this picture, you don't have the same "city that never sleeps" feeling when everyone isn't crammed onto the side walks. I don't think this will last as a pedestrian zone.

Not to mention, those lawn chairs are hideous. The city really needs to get some proper street furniture of they are going to keep it this way.

Great pics too. It's my favourite city to see photographed outside of London and Tokyo... thank you!

I think Times Square looks terrible. Imagine if Toronto shut down YD and just dropped a bunch of crappy lawn chairs on the street? We'd be complaining that a city like NYC would never do something so cheap to Times Square... well it looks like the city is only testing this concept, otherwise you'd expect something much more functional and visually pleasing done with probably the most iconic real estate on the planet.

What? Those lawn chairs own. The symbolism of relaxing, backyard style, in an area where you once had to keep your guard up is so cathartic.

Thanks for your reactions.

well it looks like the city is only testing this concept, otherwise you'd expect something much more functional and visually pleasing done with probably the most iconic real estate on the planet.

It was indeed a temporary measure:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/26/arts/design/26clos.html

I am actually sceptical if it will ever become fully pedestrianized, with permanent street furniture instead of this. Though it felt far more relaxed than having all those people crammed onto the sidewalk.

Great pictures! Looks like you and I had similar weather during our visits. The lawn chairs are pretty cheap looking (although comfortable), but I like the idea of a pedestrianized Times Square. That place is always packed, no matter what time of day.

Good pictures. I look forward to seeing some more. Something about NYC is endlessly fascinating.

Lawn chairs? Sets a tone which is more than appropriate for summer time! However, you might want something else when the weather turns colder.

The Dutchman Takes Manhattan...

Ron: Good Manhattan pics in Part 1.
You must have noticed the Dutch influence in names in NYC for example.

I recognize Foley Square,Downtown Jersey City across the Hudson,SOHO,The Flatiron Building,The Toy Center right below it and by the way-I am posting this reply in the location of pic#55-the Apple Store.

The weather improved noticeably in this picture group-the coolest and 2nd wettest June on record. There were only 6 dry days out of 30 recorded at the Central Park weather station-you obviously caught one of them.

I sometimes take Manhattan for granted living nearby as I do-LI MIKE

Back