SixPoints

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bridle%20Bath.jpg

http://urbancorphomes.ca/

It'll be interesting to see how this develops, given the prior issues with the construction of these townhouses. The new Urbancorp site indicates prices starting in the $1M range so that could certainly make all the difference.

http://www.postcity.com/Post-City-Magazines/February-2014/Do-townhouses-belong-on-Bayview/

Do townhouses belong on Bayview?
MIKA REKAI

In Toronto’s red-hot real estate market, it is hard for developers to be anything but successful. But a rare upset in Bayview has driven one development into insolvency. The much heralded Alexandria development site, by Hush Homes, was declared bankrupt late last year after failing to find enough buyers for the luxury townhomes. The 20 units are currently midway through construction on a large lot at Bayview Avenue between the Bridal Path and Post Road.

Although the rare failure in Bayview’s lucrative real estate market has many in the neighbourhood wondering why. Ward 25 councillor Jaye Robinson said that she is not surprised the Alexandria was unsuccessful.

“It was an unpopular development,†she said. “It interfered with Bayview and it was not very well laid out.â€

The neighbourhood, she said, is better suited to lower-density homes with ample green space. Although Coun. Robinson said her office opposed Alexandria from the start, the development was allowed to go forward after Hush Homes appealed to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB).

Like many at city hall, Coun. Robinson wants Toronto to be an independent jurisdiction. “We have the resources and ability to guide Toronto’s design the right way,†she said. “But the OMB is creating chaos in our neighbourhoods because of bad planning.â€

But Paul Miklas, a Toronto developer and founder of Valleymade Homes, does not think the character of the development was Alexandria’s undoing.

“Of course townhouses in Bayview can work,†he said, “but only up to a certain price point.â€

Alexandria’s starting price of $2.3 million, he said, was just too high.

“Local people downsizing from larger properties want to have some money left over after they buy a townhouse,†he said. On Bayview, he said, most townhouse buyers are willing to go up to $1.4 or $1.6 million.

“After that point, you canâ™t rely too much on address,†he said.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops, given the prior issues with the construction of these townhouses. The new Urbancorp site indicates prices starting in the $1M range so that could certainly make all the difference...

I have to do a double-take and LOL when I read Urbancorp, prices starting in $1M range and Bridle Path in same sentences !

I have to do a double-take and LOL when I read Urbancorp, prices starting in $1M range and Bridle Path in same sentences !

Looking into this development for myself as I am a fan of Urbancorp semi/townhouse projects. I think they did an amazing job at Jane/Lawrence area with great freehold semis. This location appeals to me more and driving by the site and taking in what area your living in and only starting price at $1M. This project should sell very well.

I'm very curious about the fit, finish, size and overall quality of the finished product if the starting price range is to be in the low $1Ms. Keep in mind that the condo apartments at 1 Post Road just around the corner are starting at $2M on the resale market.

Tribute's Canterbury townhouses at Bayview near Lawrence were very disappointing. The finishes and workmanship are really cheap and some of the floor layouts felt really cramped. These townhouses are priced between $900,000 to $1.2 million.
I have a feeling that this will be just the same, though I appreciate the modern design of the exterior.

Tribute's Canterbury townhouses at Bayview near Lawrence were very disappointing. The finishes and workmanship are really cheap and some of the floor layouts felt really cramped. These townhouses are priced between $900,000 to $1.2 million.
I have a feeling that this will be just the same, though I appreciate the modern design of the exterior.

Tribute's Canterbury is a big disappointment. It's the same quality you can expect in any York Region Subdivision.
8 on Bayview by Wycliffe exterior is starting and looking just as disappointing.

I'm surprised they are being priced just above 1 mil, considering their land price--I was thinking at least the 1.3-1.4 Range.

Back