8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

LowPolygon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Phase one of the revitalization of Regent Park (the area bounded by Dundas, Parliament, Oak and Sackville) is well underway, and the contours of the new neighbourhood are starting to emerge: much more open and pedestrian-friendly, with well designed paths and park spaces, local services and commercial space, and streets that connect to the outside world….

IMG_3606a.jpg

IMG_3593a.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3591a.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3673.jpg

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3639.jpg

IMG_3640.jpg

IMG_3573a.jpg

IMG_3579a.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

One of the city's greatest accomplishments in recent years. Looks great and will greatly changed the east end forever. Thanks for the update.

That's actually a beautiful building! Thankfully the 'brown brick' look is out.

Looking Good!

Reminds me of a modern St Jamestown.
It's looking good!

Quick Question:
What's going to happen to the rest of the RP lands? Will they all become mix-income units like these couple of buildings, or is the rest to go Market-rate?

Question:

What was the initial issue with Regent Park? And what exactly is it they are doing by reconstructing buildings?

It's always a mix of mixed-income buildings, stand alone public and private housing.

AoD

So the entire old footprint of Regent Park (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...61313,-79.36178&spn=0.004758,0.01369&t=h&z=17) will be covered in low/mix-income housing Towers? That's a huge footprint!

Question:

What was the initial issue with Regent Park? And what exactly is it they are doing by reconstructing buildings?

Regent Park was/is a very uninviting, depressing Social Housing Project from the 1950's that was/is based about Surburban Principals and never worked in an Urban setting.

RP was plagued with violence and constant fear. It has created a stigma about this neighbourhood which keeps many people away (altho it's actually a beautiful neighbourhood, and I LOVE south-Cabbagetown).

Check out this StreetView image and imagine trying to be raised in such a segregated, low-income concentrated housing project and being positive about life:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...ll=43.663502,-79.358572&spn=0,359.993155&z=18
They can now live in a modern building that looks like most Toronto Condos, which should not only bring Pride to the area, but a better way of life in general; especially since they're incorporating Urban elements into the design, such as Sobeys Grocers built-in to the Tower's base along the street.

Imagine living in an area where you couldn't order a pizza because the drivers couldn't find your address. And even if they could they'd be too scared to enter the area. The new Regent Park will restore the street grid making easier to get in and our and easier to find addresses.

Pizza Pizza

Imagine living in an area where you couldn't order a pizza because the drivers couldn't find your address. And even if they could they'd be too scared to enter the area. The new Regent Park will restore the street grid making easier to get in and our and easier to find addresses.

Pizza Pizza had (don't know if they still do) Delivery Restrictions to Regent Park; Most were NO DELIVERIES AFTER 9PM.
Jane/Finch, especially the townhouse complex's along Driftwood suffer the same restrictions.

Ah well... just going to have to make your own dinner *GASP*

DC83:

Yes, pretty much all of North and South Regent Park will be gone under the scheme. Not all the buildings will be towers - most are mid rise and townhouses with towers at various sites. There is more info at www.regentpark.ca

In terms of income mix, I think they are looking at something close to the St. Lawerence model, i.e. about 1/3 low income.

AoD

Pizza Pizza had (don't know if they still do) Delivery Restrictions to Regent Park; Most were NO DELIVERIES AFTER 9PM.
Jane/Finch, especially the townhouse complex's along Driftwood suffer the same restrictions.

Ah well... just going to have to make your own dinner *GASP*

The idea that certain residents can't take advantage of the same conveniences offered to nearly 100% of the population of the city because of their neighbourhood is worth a gasp.

DC83:

Yes, pretty much all of North and South Regent Park will be gone under the scheme. Not all the buildings will be towers - most are mid rise and townhouses with towers at various sites. There is more info at www.regentpark.ca

In terms of income mix, I think they are looking at something close to the St. Lawerence model, i.e. about 1/3 low income.

AoD

That's right. For referance, West Don Lands (to the south) is targeting a 21% mix of low income (1200 of 5800 units), and will also be a mix of low/mid/high rise with some townhomes.

Thanks

DC83:

AoD

Thanks for the Info! I'm really interested in maybe purchasing in one of these neighbourhoods, most likely West Don Lands, though.

I really love this part of Downtown, and the exciting lifestyle that comes with the area, and think I could fit in better than, say, Yorkville!

I've also been looking around Parkdale/Liberty Village.

Apparently I just can't get the Hamilton-Grit out of my system!? HAHAHA

Back