• Below expectations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsatisfactory

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

ganjavih

Member Bio
Reaction score
I thought I'd set up a poll gauging people's opinions on the Prince Arthur. Well, what do you think?

All I'll say is that in an age of Clewes-fashionability, it's currently in the unfashionable "Nay" stage of its existence. If it were built *today*, it'd be chewed up to no end in UT (at least, by the Urban Shocker/Zephyr contingent) as the embodiment of urbanistic retro-schlock.

My own attitude is "for what it is, etc etc". And my pet name for the granite-chesterfield sculpture on the other side of the arch is the Tomb Of The Unknown Scientologist--all the L. Ron Hubbard adherents march processionally through that arch and jump on the chesterfield, Tom Cruise-style...

always loved it....except for the chesterfield!

The main thing I've liked about it was the chesterfield, but now I fear that the next time I pass by, I'll think of Scientology.

Residents in the building originally hated the couch, they wanted the cliche fountain or whatever. But their view towards the granite sofa softened with time.

Yay!
cruise_oprah_couch.jpg

Residents in the building originally hated the couch, they wanted the cliche fountain or whatever. But their view towards the granite sofa softened with time.

The problem with the couch, is that it is disrespectful of the essential dignity of the building...the couch belongs somewhere on Queen W, not here...I believe it shows a complete ignorance by the 'artist' of the context in which he/she was working....

/there I go again talking about context..

That couch fits in with the architecture. It's comfortable old fashioned luxury, and that luxury building's architecture is hardly cutting edge modern.

The couch is quirky, totally clashes with the 'Yorkville' feel. It's refreshing I guess...

Otherwise, I can't stress how much I love this building, and the retail space is phenomenal. I mean, it managed to snag a couple of international birds too, that for some odd reason are not on Bloor. That is; Vera Wang and Walter Steiger.

"Post-Modern" art + "Post-Modern" architecture. Kinda like the kid carrying the obelisk et al relative to Police Headquaaaders

The rooftop pavilion at the north end is the creme de la scum of this bloated monstrosity - all it needs is a big garden-gnome-ish copy of Michelangelo's David staring out at us between the columns.

Why not garden gnomes decked out as Knights, guarding the residents - and the aforementioned chesterfield - from casual reclining on the grounds.

"The rooftop pavilion at the north end is the creme de la scum of this bloated monstrosity - all it needs is a big garden-gnome-ish copy of Michelangelo's David staring out at us between the columns"

Fortunately people love big bloated monstrosities, in England they call them "piles" I think. I'll grant to you the pavilion is inteesting; I think the arch is great fun as well.

Back