What do you think of this project?

• I dislike it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike it a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
No surprise bout the commercial units. The thing I don't, never could understand why it was felt that business owners had all this money to pay out to landlords. I get it that Whyte ave is busy and potentially good at the retail level, but to demand large sums of money means that the mom and pop shop that was Whyte ave will continue to vanish and all we'll have is a road with national brand tennants just like every shopping mall in the city. Makes me wish there were properties that business owners could own the property and live above in an apartment.

There are other ways to negate the interest of non-mom-and-pop enterprises and to make developers pay attention to other tenants and there are some who have clued into that -- e.g. Beljan and Dub.

Last I heard southpark was nearly fully leased up for the residential units. Commercial is completely vacant though. A friend inquired and their commercial lease rates are off the charts.
Probably part of the problem in a building that is mainly residential is that the commercial space becomes an after thought. However, that can be short sighted.

I am not sure if I would be happy as a residential tenant to be paying premium rates, but still having to go across the street and down the block to get a coffee.

A better example is The Mayfair downtown, which has done a good job filling their commercial space, but it did take a while.

Reactions: God
Probably part of the problem in a building that is mainly residential is that the commercial space becomes an after thought. However, that can be short sighted.

I am not sure if I would be happy as a residential tenant to be paying premium rates, but still having to go across the street and down the block to get a coffee.

A better example is The Mayfair downtown, which has done a good job filling their commercial space, but it did take a while.
And those tenants pay for that space. At the end of the day the bottom line matters.

Edgar Developments is part of the Downtown Recovery Coalition, which is pushing for the per unit subsidy in the CRL. It's one of the last 'catalyst' items in the Downtown Plan unfunded and would hopefully encourage people like Edgar within the CRL boundary to start construction within the next 4 year capital budget.

I'm sure this will go at some point post-LRT work and post-warehouse park. The size and location of the site will be much improved by the completion of those two things. I suspect it's mostly about confidence in the market and how much the market will be able to absorb.

^Agree. I think if this does go ahead it would do so once LRT work wraps up and towards the completion of the Warehouse Park.

Why wouldn't you time it to have the tower open as LRT opens and the park is already complete. I know that there were some concerns over access, logistics etc., but timing is everything I guess.

Back