8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

christiesplits

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wanted to get people's thoughts on the Upper Beach(es), more specifically, whether or not it actually exists.

I was around Woodbine & Gerrard this morning and pondered whether or not the "Upper Beach(es)" identity was simply beneficial for the real estate industry (its likely originator) or good for the overall identity of the neighbhourhood which would otherwise be nameless.

As well, if you acknowledge the "Upper Beach(es)" classification, how would you define its borders? Kingston Rd to Gerrard, Coxwell to Vic Park? And where does the Upper Beach(es) turn into Riverdale/Leslieville?

I know the boundaries of particular neighbhourhoods has sparked debate on UT, so I hope this would continue such discussion.

Last edited:
i was talking to a friend about this the other day and we came to a rather scientific solution to the problem

if you can walk to the water in under 10 minutes you live in the beaches

if it takes you 10-20 minutes you're upper beaches

anything more than that you lose your status ;)

I wanted to get people's thoughts on the Upper Beach(es), more specifically, whether or not it actually exists.

I was around Woodbine & Gerrard this morning and pondered whether or not the "Upper Beach(es)" identity was simply beneficial for the real estate industry (its likely originator) or good for the overall identity of the neighbhourhood which would otherwise be nameless.

As well, if you acknowledge the "Upper Beach(es)" classification, how would you define its borders? Kingston Rd to Gerrard, Coxwell to Vic Park? And where does the Upper Beach(es) turn into Riverdale/Leslieville?

I know the boundaries of particular neighbhourhoods has sparked debate on UT, so I hope this would continue such discussion.

You got the parameters right, more or less. The Beaches stretch from the shoreline to Kingston Rd and from Coxwell Avenue to Fallingbrook Rd, east of VP. "Upper Beaches" is the area immediately to the north, although no such place technically exists. Officially it's named East End Toronto (East Danforth), apt because the city used to end at VP. West of Coxwell there's a number of communities. Gerrard India Bazaar is defined loosely from the CNR to Dundas St between Greenwood and Coxwell. There's a CPA named Greenwood-Coxwell as well which covers the whole neighbourhood between these streets from Queen to Danforth.

Leslieville is roughly bounded by the CNR east of Broadview to Greenwood Ave, although south of Queen this same stretch is known as the Studio District. Riverdale comprises everywhere west to the DVP but the area surrounding Broadview Ave has two distinct neighbourhoods within its limits: the Riverside BIA and East Chinatown. Soon we can add the Portlands housing project into the mix.

If you check out the street signs, Queen Street East from the Don, going east is called "Riverside". Leslieville starts around Pape, I believe.

The northern limit seems to be the CN tracks, north of Gerrard. People around here seem to use that name, no matter where it came from. East Toronto? Hey, every time I read the newspaper, and they mention the latest crime in East Toronto, they are talking about somewhere in eastern Scarborough.

It exists. When I moved here I thought it was just a realtor's marketing term, but it's real.

The geology confirms it. Dug down 7 feet under my driveway and it was sand all the way. Lots of sand == beach. So, I live on a beach. It's jut a beach on a hill. An upper beach.

The western boundary is Coxwell. North is the train tracks. South is Kingston Rd. East is ... i don't know.

Though would there be sandy subsoil elsewhere on the Lake Iroquois shoreline?

Then again, it's also like the westward inland extension of the Bluffs...

It exists. When I moved here I thought it was just a realtor's marketing term, but it's real.

The geology confirms it. Dug down 7 feet under my driveway and it was sand all the way. Lots of sand == beach. So, I live on a beach. It's jut a beach on a hill. An upper beach.
Good point ... same in my front yard; it was quite fascinating when they were doing the recent trenching for the new gas mains. Back yard is more interesting ... all fill, old ravine I think ...

The western boundary is Coxwell. North is the train tracks. South is Kingston Rd. East is ... i don't know.
Victoria Park.

Interesting ... all this time I thought I lived in the 'Upper Beaches' - I'm around Fallingbrook and Kingston Road (just a few blocks east of Victoria Park).

Is there a map on this site that details all the neighbourhoods of Toronto?

I moved here from 'the West end' (Dufferin/St Clair) about 4 years ago ... still getting used to the place(s) though. I've been a west-ender for almost 20 years so, you know, it'll take some time, me thinks.

Interesting ... all this time I thought I lived in the 'Upper Beaches' - I'm around Fallingbrook and Kingston Road (just a few blocks east of Victoria Park).

Is there a map on this site that details all the neighbourhoods of Toronto?
The effort the Toronto Star did last year is probably the best - though the whole thing is up to debate, particularly near the edges.

According to the Star - http://www.thestar.com/staticcontent/788429 - Kingston and Fallingbrook is the corner of 2 neighbourhoods. To the southwest is "Fallingbrook", and to the southeast, and everything north of Kingston Road, is "Hunt Club".

I've never heard of of the "Beaches" and "Upper Beaches" reaching east of Victoria Park into Scarborough before ... though with the old cities such as Scarborough becoming less relevant, perhaps they should where it makes sense.

Fallingbrook and Hunt Club are both part of Birchcliffe-Cliffside.

http://www.toronto.ca/demographics/cns_profiles/cns122.htm

birchcliffe_cliffside.jpg

Anyways, as I said in other threads, my favourite part of The Beach(es) isn't actually in The Beach(es). It's Fallingbrook, a part of Birchcliffe. The area is fundamentally different than the rest of The Beach(es), and IMO has more in common as other areas of Birchcliffe-Cliffside south of Kingston Road, but it is in very quick walking distance of the beach and the Queen Street shops.

In other words, it's one of the nicest areas in the Scarborough Bluffs, but is also close to the hustle and bustle of The Beach(es) without being right in the thick of things, and is as within 15 minutes driving distance of downtown, all of which makes it a sought after area.

P.S. I've never considered Dufferin really west end. It's not THAT far west anyway. That's almost like calling Parliament east end. Well, not quite. :p

Last edited:
Now Crescent Point is considered part of Upper Beaches... at least according to this apartment advertisement.

DANFORTH-VICTORIA PARK

Situated in Toronto's "Upper Beaches", the Crescent Place community affords unlimited convenience to residents. Surrounded by extensive parkland and breathtaking views, residents enjoy spacious bachelor apartments; underground parking; on site shopping including grocery, medical and dental services, and more. Free membership to the recreation centre which includes an indoor pool, gym, squash courts and more. A public golf course and school are situated directly across the street and large scale shopping is within close proximity. Within minutes of Victoria Park and Danforth Avenues, a skywalk enables for direct access to the Victoria Park Subway Station on the Bloor Subway line. Many different floor plans to choose from! Pricing starts as from above. To view call either 416 694-8186 or 416 931-2206.

Back