8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

ehlow

Member Bio
Reaction score
I don't live in these neighbourhoods but I've been visiting lately so I thought I'd start a thread. Thorncliffe is just south-east of Leaside but it can't really be more different from that neighbourhood. Flemington is south east of the Science Centre: you can see the towers of Flemington Park when driving on the DVP.

These are really interesting neighbourhoods. A lot of the housing consists of slab (tower in the park) high-rise apartments built in the 1950's. The population here has a very high percentage of immigrants.

As a result of that, there's some really great food here. There's also a massive Sunny supermarket, which is a Chinese super market chain, but this one is tailored a bit more to South Asian products/tastes as far as I saw.

There is bus service, but it's not anywhere near rapid transit. The Eglinton LRT could help you'd still need to take a bus to get there. Many proposals for the DRL go through the two neighbourhoods in order to go up to Eglinton & Don Mills.

If you haven't been, I recommend visiting and having some Kabob. They're pretty vibrant neighbourhoods.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2008/02/27/a_food_tour_of_thorncliffe_park.html

Also Toronto rapper Kardinal Offishall apparently grew up in Flemington

Last edited:
I've heard people rave about some of the food places along Overleaf in Thorncliffe Park, but whenever I happen to be in the area I wouldn't have the first clue where to go and can never remember the recommendations.

I've heard people rave about some of the food places along Overleaf in Thorncliffe Park, but whenever I happen to be in the area I wouldn't have the first clue where to go and can never remember the recommendations.

Personally I really like Bamiyan Kebab.

Is the large kindergarten school completed yet?

I used to grab a quick bite at Mainsha on Overlea Blvd in Thorncliffe Park for West Indian food. The place was pretty popular amongst the locals but they're no longer in business.

I've also gone to Thorncliffe Bowlerama a couple of times way back when.

This is what I mean by saying Toronto subway isn't going where the density is. Thorncliff Park/Flemingdon Park don't have subway, while Yonge/York Mills does.
The DRL without a doubt should have 2 stops in this area (on in the south and one in the north connecting the Eglinton line)

This is what I mean by saying Toronto subway isn't going where the density is. Thorncliff Park/Flemingdon Park don't have subway, while Yonge/York Mills does.
The DRL without a doubt should have 2 stops in this area (on in the south and one in the north connecting the Eglinton line)

"The people of Thorncliffe Park and Flemingdon Park want subways, Subways, SUBWAYS!"

"The people of Thorncliffe Park and Flemingdon Park want subways, Subways, SUBWAYS!"

what's your point? One of the densest part of the city not so far from downtown shouldn't have subway access?
Since when wanting subways becomes a sin?

what's your point? One of the densest part of the city not so far from downtown shouldn't have subway access?
Since when wanting subways becomes a sin?

JKDM's comment was tongue in cheek.

It's not always a question about the population of any given neighbourhood along a subway, or potential subway, line. When the Yonge line was built, it was a much busier corridor than Don Mills was.

As for the DRL stops, the location of stops will depend on the alignment of the corridor, the engineering issues at any given location, and last but certainly not least, cost.

It's not always a question about the population of any given neighbourhood along a subway, or potential subway, line. When the Yonge line was built, it was a much busier corridor than Don Mills was.

As for the DRL stops, the location of stops will depend on the alignment of the corridor, the engineering issues at any given location, and last but certainly not least, cost.

Yonge is busy only south of Eglinton. When you walk past that, it is just like everywhere else. I fail to understand why since there is a line going from King to Eglinton on Yonge, it has to go straight north as if a subway line can't make turns, like it does in other cities. I never suggest a subway on the Don Mills corridor - you are still assuming a subway has to go along a particular street without making turns.

"as to the DRL stops, the location of stops will depend on the alighment of the corridor" - that says nothing. By corridor I guess you mean a single street again.

Back