AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Last edited:
Doesn't seem like anyone has followed this project, but it seems to be substantially complete (and was originally scheduled to be completed in time for the 2020 season). Seems to have turned out looking far more solid in appearance than the delicate cage depicted in the renderings. Definitely looking forward to the landscaping program for this.

From urbandreamer on SSP:

lBznCO3.jpg

RfWXzC5.jpg

Last fall:
1008-sf-fundraising.jpg

Interesting construction shots:

Really great piece on the front page by Stephanie Calvet.

The above piece includes these 2 wonderful images by Ann Baggley:

1623278911477.png

1623278973701.png

Will we ever get a database filing way out in Stratford, ON? 😲

Stratford is a great small city.

It has such great Shakespearean theatres built to world-class standards, a charming little city hall (see below), and the city is the birthplace of one of the most famous pop singers of the 21st century.

Stratford_City_Hall.jpg

Source: Wikimedia Commons

I have been there when I was a high school student.

Grew up, just a little south of there, closer to Woodstock. It's on our radar for a possible move out of the city, along with a half other smaller cities and towns.

Article with photos from Canadian Architect:

tompat.jpg
tompat2.jpg
tompat3.jpg
tompat4.jpg
tompat5.jpg
tompat6.jpg

Press Release from Hariri Pontarini:

AWARD RECOGNITION FOR TOM PATTERSON THEATRE

Toronto
-- The new Tom Patterson Theatre at the famed Stratford Festival is receiving international acclaim even before the building opens for the 2022 Festival season.

The project designed by Siamak Hariri, co-founder of Hariri Pontarini Architects, won Best of the Best Award in cultural architecture from the Architecture MasterPrize in Los Angeles last week(https://architectureprize.com/winners/winner.php?id=5081).

The Civic Trust Award in the United Kingdom has named the theatre as a Regional Finalist. The theatre is the only project in Canada to make the shortlist of this global competition that celebrates design excellence in the built environment (https://www.civictrustawards.org.uk/).

“We’re thrilled the Tom Patterson Theatre is generating excitement and attracting attention from afar ahead of its inauguration next spring,” said Hariri.

The Festival’s newest venue is designed to attract, engage and connect community and artists with an organic shape that blends into the riverside setting and dissolves the line between indoors and out. Light-filled spaces create set pieces for encounter that complement the auditorium’s intimate 600-seat enclosure.

Finely crafted throughout in sustainable and natural materials, this LEED Gold-registered theatre embodies the Festival’s mission to celebrate the arts and be a centrepiece for the Stratford community.

The Civic Trust Award began in 1959 and is Europe’s longest-running program to recognize projects that offer a positive cultural, social, economic or environmental benefit to their local communities. The announcement of winners selected from the finalists will be made in January.

Wow, this development is wonderful. My favourite parts are the wood beams (wood inside, something else outside?) that cantilever on the outside and inside above that sitting area. I also love how open it is to the river, i mean why not use that to create a calming experience inside. Lastly, I really like what looks like a juniper garden - I know, a minor thing - but having just gotten in to gardening myself, those junipers in winter time are so under appreciated!

When you have the budget for it, Siamak absolutely nails it out of the park. Love to see this and will have to take a trip out there to take it in personally.

Back