8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Glen

Member Bio
Reaction score
Not a big fan of the photo of Toronto. They should have stolen one from our photography section.

Anyways I would be interested to know the methodology behind this study. I never considered Toronto to be "beloved" by the rich.

Not a big fan of the photo of Toronto. They should have stolen one from our photography section.

Anyways I would be interested to know the methodology behind this study. I never considered Toronto to be "beloved" by the rich.
Toronto has a large middle class, that's why. We have them but we have a lot of regular folks instead of poor folks.

Note that Rob Ford's beloved Chicago is not in the list.
The rich out there live on the north shore.

The rich out there live on the north shore.

Well, some do live in Streeterville, which I'm guessing is what you meant by "north shore," but, even more have left the city altogether. They usually come to the city for special events and to show off, but not to live. Rent in Streeterville is actually on par with Cityplace, not Yorkville, believe it or not.

Well, some do live in Streeterville, which I'm guessing is what you meant by "north shore," but, even more have left the city altogether. They usually come to the city for special events and to show off, but not to live. Rent in Streeterville is actually on par with Cityplace, not Yorkville, believe it or not.

I mean lake forest, etc. You're right to say they don't live in the city.

I'm happy with the "barren wasteland" representation of Toronto in that pic. Maybe it will keep a few more rich people away. Uggggh. I hate rich people. The only thing worse than rich people are star-f*ckers.

I'm happy with the "barren wasteland" representation of Toronto in that pic. Maybe it will keep a few more rich people away. Uggggh. I hate rich people. The only thing worse than rich people are star-f*ckers.

Why do you hate rich people? Many work hard to become rich, and they contribute a lot more to the city than you and me.

If everyone making over $1M in Toronto were gone, the city will end up having next to no budget to spend on any infrastructure. Do you really think a city can function well depending on the small tax revenue from average joes making $30-80K a year?

You know what is worse than tax paying rich people? Welfare parasites who don't contribute a cent but keep taking and taking as if they are entitled to. It is sometimes popular to bash the rich people, but in the end it is downright silly.

Why do you hate rich people? Many work hard to become rich, and they contribute a lot more to the city than you and me.

If everyone making over $1M in Toronto were gone, the city will end up having next to no budget to spend on any infrastructure. Do you really think a city can function well depending on the small tax revenue from average joes making $30-80K a year?

You know what is worse than tax paying rich people? Welfare parasites who don't contribute a cent but keep taking and taking as if they are entitled to. It is sometimes popular to bash the rich people, but in the end it is downright silly.

I think that was sarcasm...

Where to start?

What relationship is there between a person's salary and the city's budget? Isn't city revenue a function of property taxes? My family has a household income of a few hundred thousand per year. How would the city get more money from us if our incomes increased?

In your second paragraph, you make a gigantic logical leap by equating "rich people" with "tax paying rich people"; in my experience (i.e. my line of work) the rich tend to avoid paying taxes more than do the poor. Then you dive straight into a wonderful strawman argument setting up a rich taxpayer vs. welfare parasite. Is your head truly so empty as to believe that merits a response (other than "are you witted?")?

Nonetheless, I should have been more precise in my original post. I should have said
I hate most of the rich people I have encountered because many of them tend not to have worked harder for their money than many non-rich people, and yet they tend to believe they are entitled to favourable treatment in all aspects of their lives simply because they are rich. As a result of having had these experiences, I have a prejudice against rich people I meet because I assume the new rich people I meet will tend to have the same characteristics as the vast majority of rich people I have met in the past. I also think that too much concentration of wealth is bad for society, from both a utilitarian and moral perspective. I should note that I have met a handful of rich people of whom I am quite fond, and it would be silly to say that I hate all rich people, or that I hate rich people because they are rich. I find that I hate most rich people because they tend to be disgusting human beings. Maybe I just haven't met the right rich people.

Finally, if I take you at your word and infer that you are not rich, that makes you a star-f*cker and I stand by what I said about your kind.

Where to start?

What relationship is there between a person's salary and the city's budget? Isn't city revenue a function of property taxes? My family has a household income of a few hundred thousand per year. How would the city get more money from us if our incomes increased?

In your second paragraph, you make a gigantic logical leap by equating "rich people" with "tax paying rich people"; in my experience (i.e. my line of work) the rich tend to avoid paying taxes more than do the poor. Then you dive straight into a wonderful strawman argument setting up a rich taxpayer vs. welfare parasite. Is your head truly so empty as to believe that merits a response (other than "are you witted?")?

Nonetheless, I should have been more precise in my original post. I should have said

Finally, if I take you at your word and infer that you are not rich, that makes you a star-f*cker and I stand by what I said about your kind.

HOw 'rich' are we talking about?

once could argue percapita, 'rich pay more' property taxes?

Detroit is a prime example of lack of property tax base to support it as a city.

And as much as most here don't want to acknowledge it, rich people do pay taxes, most of them pay WAY more than you and I nominally. Yes, they do pay a smaller percentage of their total income, but they pay their fair share.

Plus, where would the artscene be if it wasn't for affluent people paying for their pragmatically speaking, useless products? It all comes full cirle.

Last edited:

Back