^ Great vantage point! The Hyatt even looks good in that picture. I wish they'd re-clad it in stone, rather than that awful painted metal. The actual form is interesting.

I think some of the hate for the Hyatt came because it stood out so much on King West. Look at that picture and think back to what the area looked like ten years ago. Other than Metro Hall that would have been the biggest building in the shot.

August 16

Ice 1 and 2.jpg

Anyone else think that the CN Tower appears to be leaning recently? It may just be the angle of my photo. I shouldn't jump to conclusions :p

Attachments

• Ice 1 and 2.jpg
    Ice 1 and 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 820
They know exactly how much it's deflecting at any given time, owing to the wind. Measured by a laser shot through the centre of it.

It's not visible to the naked eye.

Though when you are up in the observation deck on a windy night, long exposure photos will always be blurry with the tower sway. Something I learned the hard way.

sMT:

Wonder if you can take multiple short exposures and electronically align and add them - that's a technique used by astronomers to increase signal to noise ratios.

AoD

sMT:

Wonder if you can take multiple short exposures and electronically align and add them - that's a technique used by astronomers to increase signal to noise ratios.

AoD

Yes you can. For this photo, taken on a windy day last fall, the wind was so severe that I had to use several shorter exposures, aligned and merged. I have seen similar approaches used when photographing from other supertall structures. It is kind of like a more technical HDR.

Back