@Northern Light Thanks for the response, that's all great info. Seems these oaks have the odds stacked against them so here's hoping for the best. Around where I work in Scarborough honey locusts are popular; they're everywhere and seem to do well. They have great fall colour as well.

@Northern Light

Oak trees are truly underappreciated.

These trees co-evolved with passenger pigeons.

Every few years, oak trees undergo masting, which is when they produce more acorns than usual. This is why passenger pigeons had huge flocks that completely blanketed the sky for a few hours. They feast on acorns.

Jump to the 24:28 mark, which is where he begins talking about passenger pigeons and oak trees

It is very unfortunate that passenger pigeons nowadays are only found in museums inside glass displays and they are stuffed in taxidermic stuffing. In other words, passenger pigeons have been extinct for over a century.

From earlier this afternoon:

IMG_2524.jpg
IMG_2525.jpg
IMG_2527.jpg
IMG_2528.jpg
IMG_2529.jpg
IMG_2533.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg
IMG_2536.jpg
IMG_2537.jpg
IMG_2538.jpg
IMG_2540.jpg
IMG_2541.jpg
IMG_2545.jpg

The Victorian Frogley's building at Yonge and Yorkville has a commercial front with a slight Streamline Moderne vibe. You can see it in Johnny Au's 4th and 5th pix above. Interesting. Clearly something was altered in the 1930s-1940s. Glad it was retained / re-introduced (?) in the restoration. It shows the complexity of the building's history and makes the reno less "Disney."

Last edited:
I don't want more of this in Toronto....The tower is terrible. If you're not going to at least try to use better materials don't bother.
The tower is far from terrible. It didn't turn out as well as it couldve but overall it's still nicer than most of the condos in the city, and depending on the lighting can look really good at certain times.

If I had to pick a crappy podium or ugly tower, I'd go for the latter. Unfortunately, we usually get both components crappy 😄

The tower is far from terrible. It didn't turn out as well as it couldve but overall it's still nicer than most of the condos in the city, and depending on the lighting can look really good at certain times.

agree to disagree. The end result is expected for these two builders. All those ugly grey mullions. blech!

Last edited:

Back