In addition to the lack of heritage preservation being a non-starter, that design has got to be very preliminary. I've never seen a more banal design.

Bay Adelaide, Casa I II III, Commerce Court, Burano, X, X2, FCP, TD Centre...

Yea that heritage building is going to have to stay.

In addition to the lack of heritage preservation being a non-starter, that design has got to be very preliminary. I've never seen a more banal design.

While I hear you from a 'this should stay' perspective, it should also be noted that in addition to having been altered significantly (addressed in the Heritage Impact Statement), the existing building is neither listed nor designated.

What's to become of the entertainment district with all of these buildings that look the same... Also, how is that we're still building glass towers.

I am going to sound repetitive, I know, but it's time to get moving on the collective "bitch-slap" response to architectural firms and developers who propose this sort of crap. We are having to tolerate too much less-than-mediocre stuff in this city.

Architects are vendors and developers are middle men. Don't get me wrong, these guys aren't innocent but the guys committing the egregious act are those buying these units or leasing these spaces.

Architects are vendors and developers are middle men. Don't get me wrong, these guys aren't innocent but the guys committing the egregious act are those buying these units or leasing these spaces.

I'm digging this new paradigm, man: the consumers are the creators! So let's thank everyone who bought an iPhone for collectively willing that blessed gadget into existence. Oh, and a nice pat on the back to the enlightened folks who invested in 1 Bloor East for coming up with such a pleasing design.

The tower itself is nonsense, but I think that podium could actually stay, so long as it graduated into something interesting in the tower. The vertical bands of (hopefully) brick could look solid and articulate so long as what's on top works with them in a creative way.

This looks like an upzoning exercise to me. Firstly, we don't have a developer proposing this, we have a landowner doing it. Secondly, the exterior design looks nowhere near complete. To me this looks like Sun Life is just doing the work they need to, to make the property worth a lot more, so they can either sell it as an approved redevelopment site at considerable profit, or—somewhat less likely—would be Sun Life partnering with a developer once they have their rezoning. Either way, I think it's too early to panic in regard to the exterior expression (or specifically the lack thereof).

In regards to the proposed massing, if they were to propose that the tower rise closer to Simcoe, they could leave room for another tower at 217 Adelaide, but they are not doing that. Owing to the narrowness of the 217 Adelaide W lot, the City does not see it as a tall building site. Unless the OMB sees the lot otherwise and allows Humbold to go ahead, Humbold would have to work with Sun Life to shift the 100 Simcoe tower to the east for Humbold to build anything tall on their lot.

This looks like an upzoning exercise to me. Firstly, we don't have a developer proposing this, we have a landowner doing it. Secondly, the exterior design looks nowhere near complete.

A landowner that last year spent a little over 1/2 billion dollars purchasing a real estate company that describes one of its core competencies as

In Canada, we offer a comprehensive, integrated menu of asset and portfolio management, property management, leasing and development services. In the U.S., we provide a full range of investment advisory services to clients coast-to-coast.

Who did Sun Life buy (and did this site happen to be owned by that real estate company)?

I'm digging this new paradigm, man: the consumers are the creators! So let's thank everyone who bought an iPhone for collectively willing that blessed gadget into existence. Oh, and a nice pat on the back to the enlightened folks who invested in 1 Bloor East for coming up with such a pleasing design.

They set the quality by what they purchase. You think aA's popularity that has led to every 3rd rate firm copying their designs isn't a result of strong sales or the iphone wouldn't have faded out of existence if people weren't lining up to buy the next upgrade?

Last edited:
A landowner that last year spent a little over 1/2 billion dollars purchasing a real estate company that describes one of its core competencies as

Development services and property management for large institutional players that don't have their own real estate subsidiary. Doesn't mean this isn't a zoning exercise.

Back