Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Something .............. else, is apparently coming to this site with a new proponent and architect, as per the agenda for this week's Design Review Panel:

1715625797832.png

1025 is the Cineplex address.

Yup, I noted that, discussed with mods where to put it was it was decided to put it here pending reveal.

Didn't we previously see a proposal for the Cineplex site itself? Or did I just dream that? LOL

Not that I can recall, nope.

Ok then...........it was a dream..............just like that time you were seconded from your day job to work on the new roller coaster that was going to pass over the dome, wrap the CN Tower and pass through a new skyscraper at the corner of Spadina and Front.

Last edited:
From the above applicant and @ProjectEnd 's favourite architectural team (ducks)..........

We have this massive application for current Cineplex/big box site at the south-west corner of The Queensway and Islington.

Is is the entire original block here, excluding The Queensway frontage which was previously hived off for condos.

Site as-is: (per Streetview)

1717764546429.png

The App: https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...d=5444010&pid=500191&title=1025-THE-QUEENSWAY

From the above:

1717764622042.png

For @Paclo, the renders below are at 40% of size unless otherwise indicated:

1717764686208.png

1717764733551.png

1717764770383.png

1717764801252.png

Site Plan:

1717764909344.png

Stats:

1717764975450.png

Description:

1717765015471.png

1717765062265.png

1717765088837.png

1717765115941.png

Comments:

This is an overreach in terms of density, and ill-considered in this form, at this time. To be clear, I'm happy to support conversion to mixed-used/residential here, with healthy density, but this, is not that.

This is not an MTSA and this very dense site at over 4,000 units and ultimately over 6,000 residents have no higher-order transit. Situated next to the Gardiner, this is clearly a car-oriented play, as verified by a relatively high parking ratio (over 0.5)

There are no nearby height precedents to support 40s + towers.

Despite this being billed as a complete community, it does not feature a school, even though the nearest elementary school is just over 1km away.

As this block (Queensway to Gardiner, Islington to Kipling) was until recently entirely employment lands there is no parkland nearby, and therefore no sports fields either, the park here, while large by the standards of many sites at ~1 acre is less than 1/2 the size required for a single sports field.

I think in terms of good planning, this area needs a fully thought out Secondary Plan for the area that identifies a new school site and a large park with a minimum of 4 acres of land.

A firm decision needs to be taken on what level of transit will serve this area, and if no higher order transit is to be pursued, density at this scale should be shot down.

We need the requisite infrastructure in place to support this type of density and it just isn't here right now.

Final thought....... the idea needs colour. The endless neutrality of it all heaps dullness onto overreach.

@3Dementia

Wow. The Queensway is going through quite the transformation.

I suspect a lot of westenders will mourn the loss of the Cineplex.

Its a shame that Cineplex is currently run by people who have no idea why someone would go out to the movies and who haven't developed a solid business model.

This particular Cineplex was always overbuilt though......too many screens on one site. About a 1/3 to 1/2 the size would work better.

Better programming, better pricing strategy, better architecture/interior design (yes it does matter). Ah well. Nothing will change until Ellis Jacob retires.

Last edited:
Its a shame that Cineplex is currently run by people who have no idea why someone would go out to the movies and who haven't developed a solid business model.

This particular Cineplex was always overbuilt though......too many screens on one site. About a 1/3 to 1/2 the size would work better.

Better programming, better pricing strategy, better architecture/interior design (yes it does matter). Ah well. Nothing will change until Ellis Jacob retires.

If I recall, this is or at least used to be their best performing theatre in the chain as was the case when it was originally near Sherway, especially after Westwood shuttered

so at one point it wasn't overbuilt. Perhaps these days it is.

Yep, I noted my concern about poor transit access to this area on a nearby development thread. The area is brutal for car traffic.

this area is brutal for everyone

it sucks on cars, it sucks on transit, it sucks to walk

If I recall, this is or at least used to be their best performing theatre in the chain as was the case when it was originally near Sherway, especially after Westwood shuttered

so at one point it wasn't overbuilt. Perhaps these days it is.

Yes.....but its easy to bloat the gross number when you bloat the screen count, and the seat total; and leave no other options for km around.

Its also a high-risk option, one location vs 2 or more invariably works for fewer people.

While it does great when there are 2 big openings the same weekend; its a lot of infra to carry during the low point of the year. An 8-screen cinema can generally run on a staff of 4 in light traffic. An 18-screen cinema can't carry less than 7 staff and probably 2 managers, just to open the doors.

This is one of the many problems for Cineplex in the Jacob era, there is little effort to even out 'flow' through pricing.

Yes.....but its easy to bloat the gross number when you bloat the screen count, and the seat total; and leave no other options for km around.

Its also a high-risk option, one location vs 2 or more invariably works for fewer people.

While it does great when there are 2 big openings the same weekend; its a lot of infra to carry during the low point of the year. An 8-screen cinema can generally run on a staff of 4 in light traffic. An 18-screen cinema can't carry less than 7 staff and probably 2 managers, just to open the doors.

This is one of the many problems for Cineplex in the Jacob era, there is little effort to even out 'flow' through pricing.

Do you think other Cineplex locations could be sold, like The Beaches or Don Mills?

Back