I hate Instagram so much it's hard to express with words...
What...you don't like the huge in-your-face fonts where your nieghbours can read them as well? Or the tiny building scapes in a postage stamp? Do tell! /sarcasm

Hullmark recently received approval from the City of Toronto to settle zoning at the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal for a site at 1071 King St. W., where it’s looking to build a 200,000-square-foot purpose-built apartment with an additional 5,000 square feet of retail space. The company is working on its first site plan submission and hopes to break ground on the project next year.

From https://www.hullmark.ca/1071-king-west

Rendering+Verson+2.jpg
Rendering+Verson+1.jpg

Absolutely love this but continue to be concerned that the cycling/pedestrian passthrough is too narrow to be safe. Even for cycling alone it seems stressfully narrow, let alone for a mixed trail with pedestrians as well with walls on either side and potentially no room to pass slow groups if there's traffic also coming from the other direction. Walls right at the edge of a trail reduce the usable space a trail of otherwise the same size would have since, especially for cyclists, you do not want to be too close to the wall in case you clip it. And an accident in a tight enclosed space backed up with traffic of mixed pedestrians and cyclists going both ways could be very bad. What happens if a cyclist wipes out and blocks essentially the whole trail with their bike and themselves? With no room to dodge to either side because of the walls, and more cyclists coming at even a moderate speed behind, I could easily imagine a situation where cyclists are not able to stop in time and hit pedestrians or other cyclists from behind.

Hopefully it's just how it seems in renders and people involved in this project are thinking about these types of things and city guidelines will ensure it is an appropriate width for safety and efficient flow of people along the Railpath.

Otherwise this is probably one of the most exciting potential new buildings in the city, I absolutely can't wait for it to be built and it will be super cool one day to bike by it! Maybe that's another safety issue — pedestrians and cyclists getting distracted by gazing at the beautiful building. 😅

Last edited:
Absolutely love this but continue to be concerned that the cycling/pedestrian passthrough is too narrow to be safe. Even for cycling alone it seems stressfully narrow, let alone for a mixed trail with pedestrians as well with walls on either side and potentially no room to pass slow groups if there's traffic also coming from the other direction. Walls right at the edge of a trail reduce the usable space a trail of otherwise the same size would have since, especially for cyclists, you do not want to be too close to the wall in case you clip it. And an accident in a tight enclosed space backed up with traffic of mixed pedestrians and cyclists going both ways could be very bad. What happens if a cyclist wipes out and blocks essentially the whole trail with their bike and themselves? With no room to dodge to either side because of the walls, and more cyclists coming at even a moderate speed behind, I could easily imagine a situation where cyclists are not able to stop in time and hit pedestrians or other cyclists from behind.

Hopefully it's just how it seems in renders and people involved in this project are thinking about these types of things and city guidelines will ensure it is an appropriate width for safety and efficient flow of people along the Railpath.

Otherwise this is probably one of the most exciting potential new buildings in the city, I absolutely can't wait for it to be built and it will be super cool one day to bike by it! Maybe that's another safety issue — pedestrians and cyclists getting distracted by gazing at the beautiful building. 😅
Where is that path connecting to? Is there a new trail going in?

This is beautiful, something I can't say about most new developments. The brick detailing looks very sharp and the fritted transoms over the ground floor glass are a lovely touch; bring back decorative flourishes and masonry all the way to the top! I'd kill for 100s more like this around the city.

Back