Edward Skira

http://skyrisecities.com
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Proposed

1134-plains.png

An update. Graziani + Corazza Architects. Heights increased to 35, 30, 30 and 22 storeys.

Proposed Development​

Applications to amend the Official Plan and Zoning By-law to facilitate the development of four mixed-use towers ranging in height from 22 to 35 storeys. The proposal includes commercial space at grade, 1,049 residential units, 1,219 parking spaces and a proposed density of 673 units per hectare.

File Numbers​

Official Plan Amendment: 505-05/21
Zoning Bylaw Amendment: 520-06/21

1642966768149.png

*increased*!?

This project is nuts. A terrible location for such a large amount of density.
Terrible location, but hey if people want to buy/rent next to a toxic cesspool of air (ie: the 407/QEW/403 interchange) and major transformer station I give them a big round of applause. The proximity of IKEA, Mapleview Mall, and Burlington GO will delude people's thinking that this area is a great place to live.

I guess they might point to the number of condos hanging over the 401 and shrug. But your point is taken. That is the Freeman interchange and I believe the government is in the midst of a long review of how capacities may be enlarged through that general area to deal with the continuous traffic congestion. There is also a lovely heritage home on site. I do not see it in these plans and so I assume that unless enough people squawk the potential of that building will be reduced to nil.

I guess they might point to the number of condos hanging over the 401 and shrug. But your point is taken. That is the Freeman interchange and I believe the government is in the midst of a long review of how capacities may be enlarged through that general area to deal with the continuous traffic congestion. There is also a lovely heritage home on site. I do not see it in these plans and so I assume that unless enough people squawk the potential of that building will be reduced to nil.
The Freeman interchange EA was recently completed IIRC.

This is better off staying as an employment block, or at most mid-rise levels of density. It's just not a supportable area for pedestrian traffic and will force everyone in this development into driving everywhere.

This is better off staying as an employment block, or at most mid-rise levels of density. It's just not a supportable area for pedestrian traffic and will force everyone in this development into driving everywhere.
To be fair though, just about every development in Burlington will result in people driving everywhere. Their transit system is a joke, and they arent really serious about improving things. Next to Oakville and certain areas of Hamilton, they are about as NIMBY about transit as ever.

The density is good, but is an extremely unfriendly area for pedestrians, especially for the jaunt to the Burlington GO Station. I expect most will prefer driving.

Fairview Street actually has bike lanes along the stretch but you use them at your own risk.

To be fair though, just about every development in Burlington will result in people driving everywhere. Their transit system is a joke, and they arent really serious about improving things. Next to Oakville and certain areas of Hamilton, they are about as NIMBY about transit as ever.
Burlington's downtown is quite pedestrian freindly and the developments close to the GO Station will likely see a significant amount of people walking to the GO Station for their commute.

Burlington is never going to be a place where people live car-free in large numbers, but most of the higher density proposals in the area at least facilitate *some* trips to be without a car, even if they aren't on local transit. This one will be basically 100% driving reliance.

This is on the one truly useful Burlington Transit route though, along Plains / Fairview between Burlington GO and Downtown Hamilton. It has express bus service and is fairly frequent.

I don't know about being completely NIMBY on transit...you do need people to ride the bus. And outside of the Sat/Sunday Lakeshore bike mob, well again, you need somebody to get on a bike. The city ran a bike lane experiment along New Street few years ago, changed a four lane street into two and bike lanes....the only problem was that no one used the lanes. The comments about riding on Fairview are spot on, but there are parallel routes that get used instead. Same with New Street. Biking appears to be more recreational in nature and there are a number of trails that partially address this need - some are better than others. Maybe the city should put more $ into superchargers so the crowd doesn't have to hang out at Mapleview every night waiting to get a charge. There are only so many $ to go around.

It is disappointing the number of spots devoted to parking in this complex. But again, from a pragmatic point of view, if no one is going to use a bike, why delude yourself. Yes you can walk to Mapleview, yes you could walk 'downtown', but it will be interesting to see how many will. The walk 'downtown' will be 35 to 45 minutes depending on destination.

This proposed development is in an area that is not a neighbourhood, it's going to continue to be pretty isolated, unless a significant amount of redevelopment occurs around the general intersections of Plains, Maple and Fairview. Keeping it a commercial area makes far more sense. Relocate this type of development further along Fairview or Plains road and maybe spend some transit $ on improving the Plains Road/Fairview bus service linking the GO Train stations and the downtown bus node.

At some point you do have to address bike lanes or better alternate routes to parallel Fairview (I believe Plains road is in planning for bike lanes through to Aldershot and planning is underway) and extending through Sherwood Park to reach Appleby, and then the North South connections crossing the railway and the QEW - so King Road, Brant, Guelph, Walkers, Appleby (and part of that could be incorporated by Metrolinx in the planning for the new rail bridge at Appleby).

And then improvements to the Lakeshore to improve the relationship between bike and car - although that really is a spring/summer/fall event and majorly on weekends and holidays. Again, there is a planning effort underway in Oakville for the section from Bronte to downtown. Initial efforts were shot down due to the number of trees to be destroyed to put three lanes through, plus bike lanes, plus curbs. You only need three lanes in specific turning locations, but you do need paved shoulders suitable for and laid out for bikes, with curbs. And you could extend that plan right through to downtown Burlington with minimal changes (outside of painting lines). That would be a real improvement. These improvements do not appear to be a real commuting concern amongst the Lakeshore mob ... let's see, my Ferrari Spider, my Harley Softtail...or my Schwinn Hybrid...decisions, decisions.

One thing to remember about both Oakville and Burlington. They are not really two separate entities, they are more like four.. The QEW is the great dividing line.

My apologies if I have strayed off topic.

Back