Marcanadian

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
Devron finalizes acquisition of Staples site at 1140 Yonge for $52 million:

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 3.40.11 PM.png

Wow, $52M — guess they’ll be hoping that the Scrivener development across the street gets something close to the height and density they’re seeking.

The residents to the west are gonna go *batshit* over this one. Very glad to see it go, though — have long thought this is a terrible use of land as it has sat.

I always thought that this building would make for a perfect St. Lawrence Market North - though definitely not financially feasible with a $52 million purchase.

Wow, $52M — guess they’ll be hoping that the Scrivener development across the street gets something close to the height and density they’re seeking.

The residents to the west are gonna go *batshit* over this one. Very glad to see it go, though — have long thought this is a terrible use of land as it has sat.

Was going to say much the same.

I have real trouble imagining the height/density on this site to justify that price.

For that matter I can't really contemplate 1/2 of what's needed.

Not my hood, certainly I'm no opponent of density........but this requires something vastly out of proportion to anything in the area.

I'm just going to hold out home for another Stern building, and that they somehow think they can sell all the units at 2M plus.

Yeah, sure, hideous, whatever...

p01_007g.JPG

cbcstudio81.jpg

Very nice, I'm middle-aged, and I don't ever recall seeing the building look like that. I remember when it was CBC and it was.....'unfortunate' by then.

p01_007g.JPG

cbcstudio81.jpg

Hideous with a capital H, no less!

This could be a great opportunity for the resurrection of this building. And re: Stern - the final iteration of Devron's Winslow project was umm like kind of sort of going in that direction. But not.

Hideous with a capital H, no less!

This could be a great opportunity for the resurrection of this building. And re: Stern - the final iteration of Devron's Winslow project was umm like kind of sort of going in that direction. But not.

Yeah, for pretty much exactly that reason, I'd much prefer something essentially the antithesis of Stern, especially given that its neighbour across the street will be a Cobe design.

If it could be brought back that would be great. However I'm certain some height will be added on to this. I've never seen the original built form but it was beautiful.

p01_007g.JPG

cbcstudio81.jpg
I can't blame anyone for seeing it as hideous in its present form though — it has certainly been bastardized since. Getting it back to near original condition would be wonderful. I wonder how many storeys up they'll propose to go…

A lot of the ornamental parts above the arches have been taken away from the building according to the 1930s picture. I'm wondering if they can find or recreate those same parts again.

Back