Looks like this is still alive.....from DCN http://www.dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10...e5ccc361954a&projectid=9094016&region=ontario

APARTMENT, RETAIL BUILDING Proj: 9094016-12
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON PREPARING PLANS
1181 Queen St W, Gladstone Ave, M6J 1J4

$30,000,000 est

Note: Owner is seeking city council rezoning and site plan approvals. A joint-venture partner has been secured by the owner. The development partner and architect will be released for publication pending approvals and the owner's decision to proceed. Design, tender and construction schedules are undetermined. Further update spring 2014.
Project: proposed construction of a 10-storey residential building with 91 units and retail space at grade level.
Scope: 275,000 square feet; 10 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 91 units; 9 acres
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

First report Tue Jan 06, 2009. Last report Fri Apr 26, 2013.
This report Mon Oct 21, 2013

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3459750

1181 QUEEN ST W
Ward 18 - Tor & E.York District

Zoning by-law amendment for to permit the development of a 26 storey mixed use tower located at the southeast corner of Queen Street West and Sudbury Street. The proposed residential gross floor area will be 17123.93 square metres and 599.66 square metres of non residential gross floor area. There will be a total of 119 parking spaces.

June 14
Core drilling taking place
7398403554_7b2556a1e9_b.jpg

Wow, isn't this kind of huge for this corner:confused:

1181 QUEEN ST W
Ward 18 - Tor & E.York District

Zoning by-law amendment for to permit the development of a 26 storey mixed use tower located at the southeast corner of Queen Street West and Sudbury Street. The proposed residential gross floor area will be 17123.93 square metres and 599.66 square metres of non residential gross floor area. There will be a total of 119 parking spaces.

Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Rezoning 13 262018 STE 18 OZ Nov 6, 2013 Under Review

Corten cladding instead of the precast material (on Cinema Tower's podium) and this could actually look good. Not feeling the roofline though.

OMG. This design is so awful. And the height! This must just be a "scare the pants off everyone to get concessions when we shrink it" proposal.

It's probably the best thing that Kirkor has ever proposed - what's your problem with it? And why not that height here? Why not leave the height but push for a true mix of uses, an excellent material palette and great public realm at-grade?

If you think this is bad, just wait until it gets value engineered.

This is way oversized for the site. it should be 10-14 floors here. The towers in the area should be set back from Queen, not right on it.

While adequately-sized sidewalks and an excellent pedestrian realm are of the utmost importance, meaningless setbacks only serve to suburbanize spaces and it's been consistently proven by any number of urban theorists that we humans respond best to a little enclosure. And why the arbitrary 10-14 storeys? Would 9 be too short? Would 15 be too tall?

because that is the current precedent on the street plus a couple to be nice. I'm all for highrises downtown (and my definition of the area highrises are permissible in is much larger than most) but this is out of place. they will probably end up with 21 or 22 floors here, but that doesn't mean that 10-14, or really 8 floors like the surrounding developments isn't ideal.

This is waaaaaay too big for the site. It's on the south side, across from the Gladstone. All of those shadowing issues that were carefully worked out with the Bohemian Embassy? Well, I guess this proposal is giving a middle finger to all of that. None of the large condos are actually on Queen, and it is better that way - have you been on Sudbury lately? Not the most inviting stretch in the city. This is some obnoxious block with some offsetting to make it look, I dunno, not so slabbish.

I'm thinking of going to the community meeting next Wednesday to express my disapproval.

Back