AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

YONGE AND BIRCH
8 BIRCH AVE. / 1198-1210 YONGE ST. TORONTO

The site is located just northwest of the North Toronto Station, at the northwest corner of Yonge Street and Birch Avenue. It has been improved with a series of three buildings that have retail at grade and rental apartments above. This 0.26 acre site can accommodate a mid-rise building and can be developed as a condominium, rental apartment, office building or boutique hotel.

Land for sale listing: https://www.spacie.ca/p/on/toronto/old-toronto/yonge-street/1198/yonge-birch-development-lands

Brochure: https://dnyhc7e4ce952.cloudfront.net/media/pdfs/brochure_b27d04e47a.pdf

1576125137981.png

Hopefully if a redevelopment goes through, they at least maintain and restore the front of the buildings along Yonge. There's a bit of depth on the rear of these properties along with the 8 Birch property to get a mid-rise building in there.

I believe they will incorporate the "heritage" buildings (even though they may not be so designated), as it would certainly add to any development. Just don't see a developer buying this site without acknowledging they have something special to work with. 14 storeys strikes me as pretty reasonable (taller to the south and stepping down closer to Alcorn). Surprised they didn't acquire small office property to the north. Know the owner and they would likely be a seller at the right price.

I'm hoping they'll keep the old facade for the podium part and build an art deco tower on top ! To compliment the the former train station a cross the street and the Rosedale area.

Application in for what I think is one of more charming blocks along mid-town Yonge...........:(
Heritage Status: No protection for any of the buildings.

Under the new Heritage Act (from July 1, 2021), the municipality has 90 days to make a determination whether a building merits designation. Heritage Planning staff at the City have been asking applicants for extra time beyond 90 days to make their determination; and in cases where developers refuse, Heritage Planning can rush designations.

So there are some teeth and I don't think these buildings will come down all of a sudden.

There are also retail tenants in place and residential tenants above, so this does not seem realistic.

If the City wants heritage to stick here -- and I would kind of understand if so, despite heritage being abused as a development blocker on so many other sites -- they can make it happen.

14 storeys and only 56 units? This is gonna be pretty high end penthouses.

Rental replacement?

HIA docs have some interesting insights there. It's spread across 4 pdf's so I'd encourage you to download and read.

Boring! Bland!

At least some heritage retention would have been desirable here.

Send it back!

Edit to add: Having read the Heritage Impact Assessment I can understand why we are not seeing retention; but that still doesn't excuse the blandness of this proposal which would contribute nothing to the streetscape.

My further comments, along with material from said assessment can be found in the post below.

Last edited:
HIA docs have some interesting insights there. It's spread across 4 pdf's so I'd encourage you to download and read.

Including info for everyone from the above:

1638576633253.png

Interesting to see what they looked like before the re-grading;

1638576785727.png

And what happened with the re-grading (the basement level of building A became its main floor in essence, with the retail; the previous ground floor becoming the 2nd storey:

1638576860862.png

Immediately after the re-grading (before shifting the retail down a level:

1638576927741.png

Then it evolves:

1638576956589.png

Statement by the Engineers:

1638577287915.png

My comments: Very disappointing. I won't cast doubt that retaining the facade, as is/with restoration is infeasible; but that this is the outcome is undesirable.

That said, I would draw a completely different conclusion to ERA on what should be done next.

I would like to see Building A, which I see as the important one to area character, recreated as the base of the new building (outward appearance), retaining any heritage material from the interior that may be available and otherwise establish an at- grade interior that would compliment that 'original' facade.

Ontario's laws do miss something in not recognizing the value of the building's appearance, for its own sake.

The architect's miss something in not proposing to replicate what makes this building a favourite of so many (then building some additional height on new structure in behind).

Last edited:
The 14 storey north blank wall condition is inappropriate. Developer is trying to maximize floor area by arguing that the properties to the north will also redevelop and meet a blank wall condition, but in that case this would be a block long slab with no relief which is not right from an urban design perspective. Very imposing and bulky. There will need to be separation to the north.

Boring! Bland!

At least some heritage retention would have been desirable here.

Send it back!

Edit to add: Having read the Heritage Impact Assessment I can understand why we are not seeing retention; but that still doesn't excuse the blandness of this proposal which would contribute nothing to the streetscape.

My further comments, along with material from said assessment can be found in the post below.

Oh ho ho ! Heritage Impact Assessments are about convincing the city that the changes made to the existing buildings on site are acceptable; not necessarily about making an impartial assessment of the existing building on site. As crucial as the work of heritage consultants like ERA is, I've also seen them reluctantly dismiss some obvious heritage elements in some of their other HIA reports, often in some terse, pained statements. Nevertheless, preservation die had already been cast long ago by the developers.

If your developer wants to save a building, like at 2 Tecumseth (which itself is trashy in its current state), then great, lengthy arguments can be made about the 'value of conserving fabric', the 'social context of the site', etc. etc. The new development will also be adapted to fit its context from the start, serious efforts will be made to conserve the fabric, or some real architectural continuity to the lost buildings will be maintained (not some interpretative "sidewalk marker" seen here that will be destroyed within 5 years, either by winter or by Toronto Public Works).

If your developer wants a clean slate, then the buildings on site are somehow always 'unremarkable', or in 'poor condition' and thus never worth preserving, not even in spirit.

Anyways, it would be a good time to start talking to the BIAs and local heritage groups, if you want these buildings to be preserved.

(It's also a shame that Woodcliffe has seemingly done a 180 on their preservation values since the passing of Paul Oberman, with many of their more recent projects seemingly more monolithic and less contextual? I wonder what prompted this shift?)

Last edited:
Oh ho ho ! Heritage Impact Assessments are about convincing the city that the changes made to the existing buildings on site are acceptable; not necessarily about making an impartial assessment of the existing building on site. As crucial as the work of heritage consultants like ERA is, I've also seen them reluctantly dismiss some obvious heritage elements in some of their other HIA reports, often in some terse, pained statements. Nevertheless, preservation die had already been cast long ago by the developers.

If your developer wants to save a building, like at 2 Tecumseth (which itself is trashy in its current state), then great, lengthy arguments can be made about the 'value of conserving fabric', the 'social context of the site', etc. etc. The new development will also be adapted to fit its context from the start, serious efforts will be made to conserve the fabric, or some real architectural continuity to the lost buildings will be maintained (not some interpretative "sidewalk marker" seen here that will be destroyed within 5 years, either by winter or by Toronto Public Works).

If your developer wants a clean slate, then the buildings on site are somehow always 'unremarkable', or in 'poor condition' and thus never worth preserving, not even in spirit.

Anyways, it would be a good time to start talking to the BIAs and local heritage groups, if you want these buildings to be preserved.

(It's also a shame that Woodcliffe has seemingly done a 180 on their preservation values since the passing of Paul Oberman, with many of their more recent projects seemingly more monolithic and less contextual? I wonder what prompted this shift?)

Which projects would that be?? I believe they have continued to focus on heritage-first developments since then? Waterworks downtown is far from a 180 imho. please elaborate.

Back