greenleaf

Member Bio
Reaction score
This building holds David's Shoes and Capezio.

It's a real mid-century beauty and I would truly hate to see it go.

According to the most recent Toronto Life magazine, Sam Mizrahi is looking at buying this property/building.

But if Mizrahi will put in something architecturally excellent like 1BW, perhaps it's a worthwhile loss.

Maybe there is a deal to be made with the city - considering there are some early gleam in the eye to replace 1240 Bay with an extension of Yorkville Park.

AoD

Agreed, it is a beauty. Currently listed as Class B space, constructed in 1968.

Exterior:

855422-Large-fullheightview-from-the-southeast.jpg

Interior:

1200-Bay-Street-5th-Floor-Open-Concept-Work-Space.jpg

They are both beauties that add texture and era specific architecture to the urban landscape, hope they start protecting some of these gems....
Agreed @FCMS

Sad loss, if true.
488 University, the barnacles on Robarts and Manulife Center. The possibility of this, next up 250 Bloor East?
Always interesting to see anything from this time obliterated, the brutalist stock slowly dwindles.

Redevelopment here will be tricky as the lot is small, and it's a crowded world down here as there's that currently stalled proposal for 80 Bloor West too, immediately to the west of this one. Both owners will need to cooperate to get any plans through.

Redevelopment here will be tricky as the lot is small, and it's a crowded world down here as there's that currently stalled proposal for 80 Bloor West too, immediately to the west of this one. Both owners will need to cooperate to get any plans through.

Maybe this site will be added to the 80 Bloor St W proposal?

If people are concerned about the potential demolition of this building, contact heritage services and or fill out a heritage nomination request form. Better to be proactive and avoid scrambling at the last minute to get it listed.

Yep, I'd be sad to see this handsome, stout little guy go. I've been eyeballing it since I was a kid.

Though a little forewarning: architecturally speaking, it's roughly to its time what Stollery's was to *its* time. (Which I'm not presenting either as naysayer or as yeasayer. But if any of you are "pro-1200 Bay, anti-Stollery's", keep it in mind.)

Back