Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
A lobbyist registry entry indicates that all of 1212-1238 Kingston Road are in play from the above proponent.

Aerial Pic:

1718989446441.png

From Streetview:

1718989250615.png

Site size: 2000m2 or about 22,000ft2

At the risk of not checking zoning first, I think this block is now midrise, as-of-right. That seems like the likely play here. At ~35M deep its right on the edge of whether a tall building (tower) would work here). Given abutting SFH to the north, the midrise really is the safe play, something in the 6-9s range seems likely.

There is currently no nearby supermarket, and this block once featured a Loblaws; I think a good 'sell' to the community would be bringing back a supermarket. Obviously, it would be a small one, but Loblaws is currently building No Frills stores on sites 1/2 that size, so its workable.

On parkland, I have an unorthodox suggestion.

No on-site, no off-site acquisition and no cash-in-lieu.

Instead, enlarge the nearby Blantyre Park by narrowing the adjacent Fallingbrook Road, and providing a landscaped boulevard as well.

1718989923887.png

Adding just 1M to the park along its entire length would add 200M2 to the park which is ~10% of the proponent's site. Just sayin.....

Vision Zero, beautification and parkland expansion all in one move.

Last edited:
When we get the chance for a redo how about burying the hydra lines. Man they are ugly.

As foretold on UT back in June, by yours truly............

We have an application in to the AIC for this one.

The app is for an 11-storey with 206 net new units (condo) and 10 replacement rental units.

Your architect is BNKC

@Paclo

From the above:

1728995149904.png

Site Plan:

1728995332950.png

Ground Floor Plan:

1728995229214.png

Stats:

1728995387824.png

Parking Ratio (resident spaces) 94 spaces to 216 units gives us 0.44

Elevator Ratio: 2 elevators, 216 units gives us one elevator per 108 units.

While @ProjectEnd may be satisfied with the number of elevators..........he might have something to say about the unit layouts of the units on the west side of the building:

1728995774416.png

Comments:

The height is attainable and massing is the general range of human scale. (+2s from what I projected, but believable) However, the overhang is a poor idea, and the at-grade height seems a bit excessive and over glazed.

The retail is not setup in a manner to be conducive for a grocery store, which I see as unfortunate. Currently there is no supermarket between Main (Big Carrot) and the No Frills up near Midland. An intermediate one is required to encourage walkability.

The app is silent on parkland, though self-evidently there is no intent for an on-site micro park. (good)

Thanks! Just curious about comment about first level height being excessive as I find higher ceilings enhance streetscape even on smaller roads. I have heard this before and wondered if I am missing something.

Thanks! Just curious about comment about first level height being excessive as I find higher ceilings enhance streetscape even on smaller roads. I have heard this before and wondered if I am missing something.

There's a functional issue, and an aesthetic one..

The functional issue is that the added space has no utility to most retailers but does add to heating/airconditioning costs, and to a lesser degree to cleaning/painting/fixturing costs.

The aesthetic issue is two-fold, the first is general, and is one of proportionality, but also, within spaces, it diminishes cozy-ness and intimacy; the second is specific to heavy use of glazing, which has two issues, one is that it reads cold more often than not, the other is that in most retailers it will end up covered in window film, which is just a disastrous. While there are some notable exceptions, such as patio'ed restaurants, for the most part, retailers benefit from long, deep units with narrow frontges, in order to maximize wall space (utility) which then allows windows to be decorative. In a narrow front unit in particularly, high vertical glass just looks wonky.

But in wide-format retail, you're risking two-storey window film.

Back